onion pakoda recipe
preparation time: 10 mins
cooking time: 15 mins
recipe type: snacks
serves: 2 – 3
- onion – 1 and 1/2 cups, sliced
- besan or gram flour – 3/4 cup
- rice flour – 2 tablespoons
- red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- asafoetida powder or hing – a pinch
- ginger – 1/4 teaspoon, grated
- green chili – 1, slit
- curry leaves – few
- salt – to taste
how to make onion pakoda recipe with step by step photos
1.Slice onion and keep it aside.
2. To this add red chili powder, slit green chili, grated ginger, asafoetida powder or hing, torn curry leaves, salt. Mix well with your fingers.
3. Add gram flour or besan, rice flour and mix well with your fingers, so that you get a mixture. Don’t add water. The onion itself will release water which is enough for binding.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Check whether the oil is hot enough by dropping a pinch of dough into the hot oil. If it starts bubbling and rises to the top, then the oil is hot enough.
5. Take small pinches of dough, and gently drop into the hot oil. Fry on medium flame till the pakoda get fried till golden brown. Stir in between to ensure even frying.
6. Remove them from hot oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a kitchen towel or an absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
7. Serve onion pakoda hot.
onion pakora or vengaya pakoda recipe below
- 1 and ½ cups sliced onion
- ¾ cup besan or gram flour or chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- a pinch asafoetida powder or hing
- 1 green chili, slit
- ½ teaspoon ginger, grated
- few curry leaves
- salt to taste
- Slice onion, keep aside.
- Add red chili powder, slit green chili, grated ginger, asafoetida powder, curry leaves, salt. Mix well.
- Add besan, rice flour, mix well with your fingers. Don't add water.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot enough, gently drop small pinches of dough into the hot oil and fry on medium flame till golden brown.
- Remove them from oil and place on an absorbent paper or kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve onion pakoda hot.