oats malai kofta recipe – tasty and easy to make kofta recipe with oats. A healthy side dish for chapati, roti, naan and also for rice.
oats malai kofta is a tasty side dish for chapati, roti and naan. It is made with instant oats and cooked in less oil. koftas are often deep fried or made in paniyaram pan with less oil. This is a recipe of baked kofta with a healthy twist than the regular deep fried koftas.
Serve non-fried oats malai kofta with jeera rice or with chapati.
oats malai kofta recipe
preparation time: 15 minutes
cooking time: 30 minutes
recipe type: main, side dish
serves: 2 – 3
- onion – 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
- ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- asafoetida powder or hing – a pinch
- gram flour or besan – 2 tablespoons
- instant oats – 3 tablespoons
- raw banana – 1, boiled and grated
- salt – to taste
- butter – 1 tablespoon
- onion – 3
- tomato – 6
- ginger – 1-inch piece, roughly chopped
- garlic – 4 to 5
- cashew nuts – 6 to 7
- asafoetida powder – a pinch
- kashmiri red chili powder – 2 teaspoons
- coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- oats flour – 1 tablespoon
- kasoori methi – 1 teaspoon
- garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- almond paste or curd – 1 tablespoon
- ginger juliennes – 1 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – finely chopped
- green cardamom – 2
- bay leaf – 2
- cinnamon stick – 1
- star anise – 1
- black peppercorns – 5 to 6
- cloves – 2
- oats flour – 1 teaspoon
- almond paste – 1 teaspoon
- water – 100 grams or as required
- agar agar – 5 grams, soaked for 15 minutes
- chilled oil in a long jar or glass
how to make oats kofta recipe
for making oats kofta
1. Preheat the oven at 175-degree centigrade.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When cumin sizzle, add 1 tablespoon of finely chopped onion, ginger garlic paste, and saute them till onion turns light brownish in color. This will take about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Now lower the flame, and add gram flour or besan and stir it for a minute.
4. Add oats, and keep on stirring it till it starts to get roasted and then turn off the flame. Keep it aside.
5. When the oats mixture cools down a little bit, add boiled and mashed raw banana, coriander leaves, salt, red chili powder, a little oil, and mix well.
6. Make round balls of this mixture, keep one raisin in the middle of each ball and close it properly. Roll it in instant oats.
7. Bake these oats koftas in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the balls form a crust. Once done, keep them aside.
gravy for oats kofta in pressure cooker
8. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pressure cooker. Add whole spices, asafoetida powder, ginger, garlic and saute for a few seconds. Add onion, tomatoes, salt, kashmiri red chili powder, cashew, kasoori methi and half a cup of water. Pressure cook for two whistles. Remove from flame and keep aside to cool.
9. Open the pressure cooker, discard all the whole spices except peppercorns from the masala in the cooker. Transfer the masala to a blender and blend it to a smooth puree.
10. Heat butter in a pan. Add the ginger juliennes and oats oats flour, cook for a minute.
11. Add the pureed gravy, garam masala, and cook for two to three minutes.
12. Pour the oats gravy into a serving plate, place the oats kofta on it and garnish with oats and almond pearls.
for oats and almond pearls
13. In a pan, add all the ingredients expect oil and mix well. In a low flame, mix well the ingredients continuously till agar agar dissolves completely. We can add more water if required. It should be neither thick nor thin.
14. Fill this liquid in injection syringe (without needle). Pour this liquid drop by drop in chilled oil with the syringe.
15. These pearls will settle at the bottom. Now strain these pearls in a strainer and wash with cold water. Your oats and almond pearls are ready for garnish.