Horse gram mezhukkupuratti / upperi – Mezhukkupuratti or upperi is a traditional Kerala style side dish for rice . It is usually served with rice and curry. Mezhukkupuratti is usually made with vegetables or pulses. Today, I am sharing a mezhukkupuratti recipe made with horse gram / kollu / muthira / kulith.
Horse gram is one of the lesser known pulses. Now a days, we are used to oats, cereals, pizza, pasta burgers and we rarely use pulses like horse gram which are good for health and tasty too. Horse gram is very healthy and is widely used in Ayurveda medicine for treatment of piles, rheumatism, conjunctivitis and worms. You can read more about health benefits of horse gram for diabetes and also benefits of horse gram and who should avoid using horse gram. Now to the recipe..
Other similar recipes:
Muthira mezhukkupuratti – Ingredients
- muthira / horse gram / kollu – 1 cup
- coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- water – 3 1/2 cups
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- dry red chili – 1
- green chili – 1
- curry leaves – few
- onion (medium ) – 1 (finely chopped)
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
How to Make Muthira upperi / Horsegram stir fry / kollu mezhukkupuratti
1. Wash horse gram twice or thrice in water and soak it in 2 cups of water overnight or for 6 hours.
2. Transfer the contents to a pressure cooker, add one more cup of water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pressure cook for one whistle. After that, reduce the flame and cook for 10 minutes or until it gets cooked till soft. (It should be soft but not mushy. ) Keep it aside.
3. In a pan, heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Then add dry red chili, green chili, curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
4. Then add finely chopped onion, crushed ginger and saute till it becomes brownish in color.
5. Add the cooked horse gram along with the cooked water and another half cup of water, bring it to a boil. Then reduce the flame, and cook again for another 5 minutes or until the entire water gets evaporated.
6. Turn off the flame. Serve muthira mezhukkupuratti with rice and curry.
If you find this post useful, I would be happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving