Mushroom masala dosa recipe / mushroom dosa – is a tasty dosa recipe with mushroom masala filling. Masala dosa is a breakfast item which is very popular in India, especially in South India. Masala dosa is nothing but dosa with filling. Initially, masala dosa was made with potato filling. But now, it is available in many versions and with variety of fillings – panner, mushroom, cauliflower, kheema, and many others.
The method of making mushroom masala dosa is very easy. Here I have made use of the normal dosa batter which is made at home. I have also given the composition for dosa batter. Always take care to leave the batter for fermentation for 6 hrs after grinding. If any batter is left after use, that can be stored in the fridge for later use. Check the recipe with step by step pics for making dosa here. That batter can be used for making kuzhi paniyaram or masala dosa or bread dosa.
Mushroom gravy for masala dosa is very easy to prepare. But the only difficulty is in cleaning the mushrooms. But this part is very easy, once you know the technique to clean mushrooms. Mushrooms have a tendency to absorb water, and hence, it will be better to clean mushrooms with a wet clean cloth, peel the skin and then chop the mushrooms into pieces.
Serve mushroom masala dosa with sambar and chutney. Now to the recipe of mushroom masala dosa…
Other dosa recipes:
MUSHROOM MASALA DOSA RECIPE
Mushroom masala dosa – ingredients
- rice – 2 cups
- urad dal – 1 cup
- fenugreek seeds / uluva – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- water – as required
For filling / stuffing
- mushrooms – 6-7 ( or 200 gms)
- onion – 1 (medium)
- ginger – 1 small piece (crushed)
- garlic – 2 – 3 (crushed)
- coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- mustard seed – 1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- green chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
- tomato – 1 (finely chopped – optional)
- curry leaves – few
- coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon (finely chopped)
- oil – 1 tablespoon
- salt – to taste
Steps to Prepare Mushroom Masala Dosa Recipe
- Chop the mushrooms and onions separately
How to prepare mushroom masala dosa
How to prepare mushroom masala for filling
1 Heat oil. When hot enough, splutter mustard seeds.
2. Then add onion, green chillies and ginger and garlic, curry leaves and saute nicely till onions become slightly brownish and the raw smell goes off.
3. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute for a few seconds till the raw smell goes off.
4. Next add chopped tomatoes and saute nicely till tomatoes become mushy and oil starts separating.
5. Now, add mushrooms, salt, coriander leaves and saute nicely. You don’t have to add water while cooking mushrooms. Keep the flame high, keep stirring, till the entire moisture evaporates.
6. When the entire water has evaporated, and mushroom are cooked well, add pepper powder and mix well.
7. Now mushroom masala filling is ready.
How to make dosa
2. Grind it nicely, add enough water, to a smooth batter. You can grind it in a mixer jar or wet grinder.
3. Add salt, mix it well, keep aside.
4. Leave it covered in room temperature to ferment for around 7 – 8 hours.
5. Heat a griddle, grease it with ghee or oil.
6. Take a ladleful of batter, spread it on a pan in circular motion to make thin paper dosa.
7. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of oil around the edges and in the center.
8. Once the dosa is cooked, add the mushroom masala filling in the center, and fold it. (If desired, add few drops of ghee or oil on top and press it lightly. )
9. Mushroom masala dosa is ready. Serve mushroom dosa hot with chutney and sambar.