mullangi sambar or radish sambar recipe with step by step photos – a tasty sambar recipe made with radish and shallots. It can be served as a side dish for rice.
mullangi sambar recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 25 minutes
recipe type: main, curry
serves: 2 – 3
- toor dal – 1 cup
- radish – 1 large, chopped
- shallots – 1/2 cup
- tamarind – one small lemon sized ball
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- tomato – 1, optional
- sambar powder – 2 teaspoons
- coriander leaves – 3 tablespoons, finely chopped
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- hing or asafoetida powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- curry leaves – few
- dry red chili – 1
how to make mullangi sambar recipe with step by step photos
1. Wash and pressure cook toor dal with enough water and turmeric powder for 4 to 5 whistles. Wait till the pressure subsides. Open the pressure cooker, mash the dal with the back of a ladle. Keep aside.
2. Wash and add tamarind to hot water and let it soak for 10 minutes. Extract the tamarind juice and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, dry red chili, asafoetida powder and saute for a few seconds.
4. Add shallots, radish, and saute well for a few minutes till the raw smell goes off completely. Add finely chopped tomato and saute well till it gets cooked well and becomes mushy.
5. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and saute well. Add water and bring it to a boil. Reduce the flame and cook covered on a medium flame till radish gets cooked well.
6. Add tamarind extract and bring it to a boil. Boil until the raw smell of tamarind goes off completely.
7. Add in cooked toor dal. Mix well. Reduce the flame and cook on a low flame for a few minutes until all the flavors get combined together.
8. Add finely chopped coriander leaves and turn off the flame.
9. Serve mullangi sambar with rice.
radish sambar or mullangi sambar recipe below
- toor dal - 1 cup
- radish - 1 large, chopped
- shallots - ½ cup
- tamarind - one small lemon sized ball
- turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
- tomato - 1, optional
- sambar powder - 2 teaspoons
- coriander leaves - 3 tablespoons, finely chopped
- for tempering
- oil - 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- hing or asafoetida powder - ¼ teaspoon
- curry leaves - few
- dry red chili - 1
- Pressure cook toor dal for 3 to 4 whistles or until they get cooked well. Mash them with the back of a ladle.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chili, curry leaves, hing and saute for a few seconds.
- Add in chopped radish, shallots, a quarter teaspoon of salt, and saute well.
- Add in turmeric powder, red chili powder, sambar powder, saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add in water, cook in medium flame till the radish pieces get cooked till tender.
- Add tamarind extract, boil until the raw smell of tamarind goes off completely.
- Add in the cooked and mashed toor dal, mix well. Cook for a few more minutes in medium flame.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves, mix well. Turn off the flame.
- Serve radish sambar with rice, idli, dosa.