moravian spice cookies recipe – a traditional american cookie recipe made with all purpose flour, spices and molasses.
moravian spice cookies are also called as world’s thinnest cookies as they are rolled till paper thin and then baked.
Moravia is a beautiful and historic country in the Czech Republic! A specialty of the place is moravian cookies or moravian spice crisps as they are called. A special type of fluted cookie cutter (like a pie pan edge) is used for these delicious cookies but as I did not have them I gave them the shape of a Christmas Tree as I was making them for the festival! The cookie is wafer thin, crisp and perfectly brown with a delicious aroma and taste. Mine may not have come as thin but was crisp and utterly delicious.
moravian spice cookies
preparation time: 5 minutes
baking time: 10 – 12 minutes
recipe type: snacks
makes: 20 cookies
- maida or all-purpose flour – 194 grans
- baking soda – 1 and 1/4 teaspoon
- ground cinnamon or dalchini – 3/4 teaspoon
- ground ginger or sonth – 1 teaspoon
- ground cloves or laung – 1/2 teaspoon
- shortening or vanaspati or ghee – 1/4 cup
- brown sugar – 1/3 cup
- molasses or thick jaggery syrup – 1/2 cup
how to make moravian spice cookies recipe
1.To make moravian spice cookies, first preheat oven to 160-degree centigrade.
2. Meanwhile, sift the dry ingredients used for making cookies – four, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and clove powders, together in a large bowl.
3. In another bowl, beat the shortening or vanaspati or ghee and sugar until creamy. Add in molasses and beat again until everything gets combined well.
4. Now add the dry ingredients and mix till everything comes together and you have a soft dough. For mixing you can either mix with your hand or use a food processor or a stand mixer.
5. Wrap the dough in a cling film and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Flour your kitchen countertop and roll out the dough as thin as you can manage. There is a saying that “your fingers should be visible under the dough”. In case if this does not happen, do not worry. Roll as thin as possible and cut out cookies with the cutter you want. If you have a fluted cutter, use that.
7. Cut out the cookies and transfer the moravian spice cookies to cookies sheets each being 1/2 an inch apart. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes till golden and a little dark on the top and take out. Cool them on the sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
8. Leave the cookies to cool completely on the sheets and store them in an airtight container or preferably glass jars.
9. You can make a thick sugar syrup in a very little quantity and brush them over the top of the cookies on which you can sprinkle decorations of your choice. Use colored sugar crystals, edible gold and silver decorations, balls or even royal icing for decoration
10. Serve moravian spice cookies with coffee or tea.