moong dal vada recipe | moong dal pakoda | mung dal vada – a tasty and easy to make tea time snack recipe made with moong dal or cheru parippu.
moong dal vada recipe | mung dal vada | moong dal pakoda is a tasty snack which can be made within few minutes. It can be served with tomato ketchup or with green chutney or with coconut chutney.
The most important point to be noted while making moong dal vada is the preparation of vada batter. Take care to add very little water while grinding. Otherwise, the batter will be runny and will not give a perfect shape.
Addition of baking soda makes the vada light and fluffy. But I haven’t added any here, as I don’t prefer giving baking soda to kids. This moong dal vada is very popular in Gujrat and Rajasthan and there are many variations to this moong pakoda. Addition of onion and green chili is also optional, but it enhances the taste.
Let us now learn how to make moong dal vada recipe.
moong dal vada recipe
preparation time: 3 hours
cooking time: 15 minutes
recipe type: snack recipe
serves: 3 – 4
- moong dal – 1 cup
- water – 2 tablespoons
- rice flour – 3 tablespoons
- green chili – 2, finely chopped
- ginger – 1-inch piece, grated
- onion – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- cumin seeds or jeera – 1 teaspoon
- baking soda – a pinch
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
- oil – for deep frying
how to make moong dal vada recipe with step by step photos
1. Wash and soak moong dal in enough water for 3 to 4 hours. Drain the excess water, and add it to a mixer jar. Add 2 tablespoons of water and grind it to a smooth paste.
2. Transfer the moong paste to a bowl.
3. Add rice flour. Addition of rice flour helps to get crispy vada.
4. Add onion, ginger, green chili, cumin seeds, and salt. Mix well.
5. Finally, add a pinch of baking soda, mix well.
6. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, take small pinches of batter and drop them into the hot oil.
7. Fry in a medium-low flame till vada turns golden brown.
8. Remove the vada from hot oil using a slotted spoon and place them on an absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
9. Serve moong dal vada with coconut chutney.
moong dal vada recipe | moong dal pakoda | mung dal vada
- moong dal - 1 cup
- water - 2 tablespoons
- rice flour - 3 tablespoons
- green chili - 2, finely chopped
- ginger - 1-inch piece, grated
- onion - ¼ cup, finely chopped
- cumin seeds or jeera - 1 teaspoon
- baking soda - a pinch
- salt - to taste
- coriander leaves - 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
- oil - for deep frying
- Wash and soak moong dal for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the excess water, grind to smooth paste.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl.
- Add rice flour, mix well.
- Add onion, green chili, cumin seeds, ginger, salt and mix well.
- Finally, add baking soda, mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, take small pinches of batter, drop them into hot oil.
- Fry in a medium flame till golden.
- moong dal vada is ready. Serve with tomato ketchup or with coconut chutney