moong dal halwa with mawa – a tasty and healthy Indian sweet recipe which is perfect for all festivals.
moong dal halwa is a very popular North Indian dessert. It is prepared during all festivals and is a very tasty dessert. It is a popular Rajasthani dessert and is often prepared during winter.
A non-stick kadai suits best for making this tasty dessert. This halwa takes a lot of time for preparation but is very delicious and is worth the hard work.
moong dal halwa can be made with mawa or without mawa.
moong dal halwa with mawa
preparation time: 5 mins
cooking time: 50 mins
recipe type: dessert
serves: 6 – 7
- moong dhuli dal or split and dehusked green gram dal – 1 cup
- ghee – 1 cup
- besan or gram flour – 2 teaspoons
- khoa – 100 grams
- green cardamom – 5 – 7
- sugar – 1 cup
- water – 2 and 1/2 cups
- kesar or saffron – 20 – 25 strings
- almond – 15 – 20, slivered
- pistachios – 10 -15, slivered
how to make moong dal halwa with mawa
1. Soak moong dal in water for 5 to 6 hours. Drain the excess water and grind it to a smooth paste.
2. Crush cardamom to a fine powder and keep aside.
3. Add sugar, water, cardamom powder and saffron strings into a pan over medium flame. Heat till sugar gets dissolved completely. Cook for a few more minutes till it reaches one string consistency. Remove from fire and keep aside.
4. Add ghee to a kadhai and wait till it melts. Add besan and fry till it becomes light brownish in color.
5. Remove from heat, and add the ground dal paste. This prevents the dal from sticking to the bottom of the kadhai.
6. Put the pan and heat on medium flame. Keep stirring for about 25 – 30 minutes or until the mixture turns golden brown color.
7. Add crumbled or grated khoya and keep stirring for 10 – 12 minutes till the mixture turns golden. You will find the ghee separating on the sides of the pan.
8. Add sliced almonds and cook for one minute.
9. Add the sugar syrup to the mixture and continue to cook till the water gets absorbed completely. Keep stirring for another 5 – 7 minutes.
10. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of ghee and keep stirring on a very low flame for 10 minutes till the ghee separates. Add slivered pistachios and mix well.
11. Garnish with almonds, pistachios and serve hot.