Punjabi methi kadhi recipe – is a tasty comfort food in North India.
methi kadhi is a twist to the popular kadhi recipe. It is prepared in the same way as we prepare normal kadhi expect for the addition of fenugreek leaves and onion.
I have already shared various kadhi recipes like plain kadhi, pakora kadhi.
This methi kadhi can be served with chapati, paratha and also with steamed rice.
punjabi methi kadhi recipe
- curd or dahi or yogurt – 1 cup
- besan or gram flour – 1/4 cup
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- green chili – 1, finely chopped
- ginger – 1 teaspoon, grated
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- onion – 1, sliced
- fenugreek leaves or methi – 100 grams
- oil or ghee – 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- cumin seeds or jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- dry red chili – 2
- red chili powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- hing or asafetida powder – 1/4 teaspoon
how to make methi kadhi recipe ~ Punjabi methi kadhi
1. To make Punjabi methi kadhi, first heat a teaspoon of ghee or oil in a pan or kadai. Add thinly sliced onion and saute till they turn light brownish in color. Then add the methi leaves and saute till they wilt. Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
2. Let us now prepare the sauce. Add gram flour or besan to a mixing bowl. To this add around 1/2 cup of water, whisk well to make a batter without lumps.
3. Add curd or dahi and whisk well. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water, turmeric powder, green chili, coriander powder, salt, mix well.
.4 Now place the pan on a medium flame and bring it to a boil. Keep whisking it continuously and cook until the kadhi turns thick and smooth.
5. Add the sautéed onion methi mixture to the kadhi, simmer and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Turn off the flame.
6. Heat ghee in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add cumin seeds, dry red chili, hing and saute for a second. Now turn off the flame. Add red chili powder, give it a quick mix. Pour the tempering over the kadhi. Mix well. Check for salt, and if necessary, add more.
7. Punjabi methi kadhi is ready to serve. Serve with chapati, or phulka or with steamed rice.