pumpkin(yellow) – 1/2 kg
van payar(black eyed beans) – 1 cup
chilli powder – 1tsp
turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
grated coconut – 2 cups
jeera – 1 tsp
salt ( as req)
coconut oil – 4 tsp
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
grated coconut – 3 tbsp
curry leaves – 7-8
1. Soak van payar in water for 4 -5 hours. Wash and drain it.
2. Pressure cook for 1 whistle
3. cut the pumpkin into small cubes
4. grind coconut and jeera together to become a fine paste
1. Along with the cooked vanpayar, add the pumpkin, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and cook nicely
2. Then add the coconut jeera paste and and don’t boil too much. Once it starts boiling switch off the stove. Otherwise, it will curdle.
3. Then remove it from stove
4. Mash a little
5. In another pan, add little coconut oil, add mustard seeds, allow it to splutter
6. Then add the chopped shallots, and fry for some time and then add the rest of the coconut and curry leaves fry nicely till the coconut becomes golden brown color.
7. Take it out from the gas and add it to the cooked pumpkin vanpayar mix
8. Serve it with rice
1. If you cannot soak the beans then you can directly wash it and pressure cook it for 5 – 6 whistles.
Then add the pumpkin and cook it
For similar kerala curry recipes
If you find this post useful, then I would be happy if you can share it with your friends on google+, facebook or twitter by clicking the button. This will keep me motivated.