matar ka cheela or green pea pancake recipe – tasty and easy to make cheela recipe with green peas for breakfast or as a snack.
green peas is available in abundance during this season. So after making matar ka paratha, today I made this matar ka cheela. It is a very popular recipe in Bihar.
This green pea pancake is easy to prepare at home. Boil the green peas and make a puree. Mix the puree with gram flour, rice flour and few spices. Heat a griddle and make pancakes.
matar ka cheela
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: breakfast, snack
serves: 2 – 3
- green peas or matar – 1 cup
- gram flour or besan – 2 tablespoons
- rice flour – 2 tablespoons
- onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- ginger – 1 teaspoon, grated
- cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- asafoetida powder or hing – a pinch
- salt – to taste
- oil – for making cheela
how to make matar ka cheela or green pea pancake recipe
1.To make matar ka cheela, add boiled green peas to a mixer jar along with some water. Grind it to a smooth paste.
2. Transfer the ground green peas puree to a bowl. To this add rice flour, gram flour, red chili powder, ginger, cumin powder, pepper powder, garam masala, hing, salt and mix well.
3. Add onion, and mix well. Add required amount of water and make a batter of smooth flowing consistency. Check for salt, and add if necessary.
4. Heat a tawa and grease it with oil. When the tawa is hot enough, take a ladle full of batter and spread it in a circular motion to make a circle. Drizzle one teaspoon of oil around the edges and at the center. Cook the cheela in a medium flame till the bottom starts becoming golden in color.
5. Carefully, flip it to the other side and cook on a medium flame till it gets cooked well.
6. Transfer to a serving plate.
7. Serve matar ka cheela with coconut chutney or with onion tomato chutney.