masala rice recipe – an Indian spiced rice dish made with cooked rice. It is a twist to the normal rice and is perfect when you feel lazy to cook.
you can make masala rice with normal sona masoori rice or basmati rice. The method of making masala rice is very simple. Just saute the onions, tomatoes, and other spices. Mix them with the rice, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Masala rice is ready. For a variation, you can also add vegetables like cauliflower, beans, peas or carrots or any other veggies of your choice while making masala rice.
masala rice recipe is quick and easy to make and I often make it with leftover rice. It is a perfect way to use the leftover rice. I always have some rice left which I end up making some masala rice or lemon rice for dinner. This will a variation to the regular rice varieties.
serve masala rice with appalam, pickle or simple raita. I served masala rice with some potato chips and gooseberry pickle.
Other rice recipes
how to make masala rice recipe with step by step pics
1. In a pan, heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Once mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds. You will see that cumin sizzles. Then add chopped onion, green chili, ginger, curry leaves and hing. Saute till onion turns translucent.
2. Add tomatoes, and saute till tomatoes turn mushy. Add masala powders – turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala and salt. Mix well and saute till the raw smell goes off.
3. Add rice and mix well. Turn the flame to low, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Open the lid, mix well. Finally, add coriander leaves, mix well.
4. Serve masala rice with pappad and pickle.
masala rice recipe below:
- cooked rice - 2 cups
- oil - 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- curry leaves - 1 sprig
- cumin seeds / jeerakam - ½ teaspoon
- fennel seeds - ¼ teaspoon
- green chili - 1 (slit)
- onion - 1 (medium - chopped)
- tomato -1 (medium - chopped)
- turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- red chili powder - ½ teaspoon
- coriander powder - ½ teaspoon
- garam masala - ¼ teaspoon
- Hing / asafoetida powder - a pinch
- salt - to taste
- coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon (finely chopped)
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves, green chilies, onion, hing and saute till onion turns translucent.
- Add tomatoes and saute till tomato turns mushy and oil starts separating on the sides.
- Add masala powders turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add rice and mix well. Keep covered and cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally, add coriander leaves, mix well.
- Serve masala rice with raita, appalam and pickle.