masala paal is a very famous beverage in Chennai and is called as madras masala paal. The first time I tasted this was in Saravana Bhavan. masala paal from Saravana bhavan is very famous in Chennai.
masala milk recipe is a tasty drink where milk is simmered with spices, sugar and almond paste and then topped with nuts. It is very healthy, and makes a person energetic throughout the day. It can be served hot or chilled but my kids love warm masala milk. Today, I am sharing one of the easiset recipe for making masala paal and can be made in less than 20 minutes.
The original recipe of madras masala paal makes use of piyal seeds or chironji, but if it is not available, it can be replaced with pistachios or melon seeds. I have used pistachios here, as I did not have piyal seeds in stock.
To make masala paal recipe, I would suggest using full fat milk or whole milk. But if you are on any special diet, you can make use of skimmed milk. Full fat milk when it is reduced to 1/2, will have some amount of sweetness in it. So, add sugar according to your desired level. White sugar can be replaced with palm sugar while making masala milk.
You can also add a pinch of turmeric powder and pepper powder while making masala paal. Masala milk has a lot of medicinal properties. It is filled with nutrients. It is also a good drink for toddlers, kids and adults.
Let us see how to make masala milk recipe with simple step by step pictures.
masala paal recipe
- milk – 1 litre or 5 cups
- sugar – 1/2 cup or 5 tablespoons
- almond – 1/2 cup
- cardamom – 4 – 5 or 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- cinnamon – 1 piece
- cloves – 3
- nutmeg powder – a pinch
- saffron strands – few
- piyal seeds – 4 tablespoons or pistachios – 15
how to make madras masala paal recipe with step by step phots
1. Soak almonds in hot water for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take it out, and peel off the skin. Keep it aside.
3. Grind almonds together and make a paste. Keep it aside.
4. In a saucepan or bowl, add milk, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. Bring it to a boil. Then reduce the flame to low, and boil in low flame till the entire quantity gets reduced to 1/2. Now add ground badam paste and saffron milk. Mix well.
5. Add sugar, mix well and boil for another 2 – 3 minutes. Turn off the flame.
6. Add piyal seeds or chironji. If you don’t have chironji, garnish with pistachios. Mix well.
7. masala paal is ready. Serve masala milk hot, chilled or warm.
masala milk or masala doodh recipe below
- 1litre or 5 cups milk
- ½ cup or 5 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup almond
- 4 - 5 cardamom or ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 piece cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- a pinch nutmeg powder
- few saffron strands
- 4 tablespoon piyal seeds or 15 pistachios
- Add almonds in hot water, soak for 30 minutes. Remove the skin.
- Grind the almonds into a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Add saffron strands to 2 tablespoons of warm milk and keep aside for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Boil milk in a saucepan along with cardamom, cloves, cinnamon.
- Once the milk boils, reduce the flame to low, and boil till the entire content get reduced to half of the original level.
- Add almond paste, saffron milk, and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and boil for another 2 - 3 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Garnish with pistachios or piyal seeds.
- Serve masala paal hot, warm or chilled.