lemon rice is a South Indian dish which can be easily prepared even when you are in a hurry. This can be prepared with freshly cooked rice or with left over rice. The addition of lemon juice gives a fresh and tangy taste to the rice. How much ever I try little rice will be left over and no one willingly comes to have it. So I made it a practice to make lemon rice or tomato rice or some variety rice with the left over rice rather than wasting it. Sometimes, I make chitranna with leftover rice, which is a slight variation to lemon rice.
People of Karnataka usually enjoy this as their breakfast. In Karnataka, this rice is called as Chitranna whereas in Tamilnadu it is called as elumbicha sadam. This can also be taking along with you when you are traveling. Since you are adding lemon to the rice, it will not get spoiled and will last for more than a day. But I have never tried keeping this for more than 1 day but have heard this from my grandmother. This will serve you one-time meal rather than eat outside. I always prefer to keep something with me for my kids while traveling so that I can avoid outside food.
I made this today and I am sending this along with my daughter’s lunch box to her school. Children usually like colorful food. Always serving rice for lunch makes it a bit boring but in South, it is a regular practice of having rice, sambar, rasam and a poriyal for lunch. But children usually get bored of these regular rice and subzi. So this is a different one and I told my daughter that I am sending yellow rice for lunch today, the same yellow rice which you saw in your cartoon. So she was happy to take it to school So friends give it a try and now to the recipe.
lemon rice video
lemon rice recipe
preparation time: 5 minutes
recipe type: 10 minutes
cuisine: South Indian
- rice – 1 and 1/2 cups, cooked
- lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- oil – 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- hing or asafoetida powder – a pinch
- curry leaves – few
- chana dal – 1 tsp
- urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- green chili – 1, slit
- ginger – 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
- dry red chili – 1
- peanuts – 2 tablespoon
- salt – to taste
how to make lemon rice recipe with step by step photos
lemon rice recipe below
- rice - 1 and ½ cups, cooked
- lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
- oil - 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- hing or asafoetida powder - a pinch
- curry leaves - few
- chana dal - 1 tsp
- urad dal - 1 teaspoon
- green chili - 1, slit
- ginger - 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
- dry red chili - 1
- peanuts - 2 tablespoon
- salt - to taste
- Cook rice till done. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal, chana dal, hing, curry leaves, dry red chili, ginger, green chili, peanuts, cashew nuts, and saute for a few seconds till dal turns golden.
- Add turmeric powder and saute on a low flame till the raw smell goes off completely.
- Add cooked rice, lemon juice, salt and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Serve lemon rice hot with papad.
1. There are various eazy steps to extract more juice out of lemon.
- let the lemon sit at room temperature (This will give you more juice than the cold one)
- Warm the lemon in a bowl of water. (Warm lemons become softer and produce more juice. You can fill a bowl with warm water and leave the lemon in it for some time before using it. )
- Roll the lemon before cutting it. (Take a whole lemon and roll it on a firm counter top. Apply a little pressure on the lemon while rolling. not so much that its shape gets distorted.)