lemon butter bars – tasty tea time snack
The method of making lemon butter bars can be divided into three stages. First one is the preparation of a shortbread for base, the second is preparing lemon curd and the third one is to bake them for a few minutes so that they set properly.
One important point to be noted while making lemon curd is that all the ingredients should be cooked in a very low flame until it gets a custard consistency without lumps. It is also important to strain them.
lemon butter bars
preparation time: 2 hours
cooking time: 12 bars
for the shortbread base:
- unsalted butter – 142 grams, cold but not hard
- all-purpose flour or maida or plain flour – 180 grams
- granulated sugar – 25 grams
- powdered sugar – 14 grams
for lemon curd:
- egg yolks – 3 large or 4 small
- powdered sugar – 150 grams plus 2 tablespoons
- lemon juice – 20 ml (Indian lemons)
- unsalted butter – 57 grams, softened
- salt – a pinch
- lemon zest – 2 teaspoons
how to make lemon butter bars recipe
1.To prepare lemon butter bars, preheat oven at 160-degree centigrade.
2. In a large cream butter and sugar with an electric whisk until smooth and fluffy. Add the flour and start mixing with the tips of your fingers. We do not want to make a dough but want everything to come together and incorporate well.
3. Pack this mixture into the prepared pan. Spread it and level it well and covering the base of the pan. Prick all over with a fork and bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour till the edges start turning brown and the middle is golden brown. Do not bake more than this.
4. While the shortbread is baking, let us start making lemon curd.
lemon curd recipe
5. Keep a strainer ready over a pan or a saucepan.
6. In another saucepan, add yolks and sugar and beat well with a spatula till well blended. Add in lemon juice, butter, and salt. Cook on the lowest heat possible for 5 to 6 minutes till the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Keep stirring all the while. The mixture should change from transparent to opaque and look like a custard. Do not boil as the eggs will get cooked leaving you with a lemon omelet.
7. Strain the lemon curd through a strainer pressing it with the back of a spoon or a spatula to squeeze out maximum curd. Discard any residue in the strainer.
making lemon butter bars
8. Pour the lemon curd over the prepared shortbread base and spread with a spatula covering the top completely. Reduce the heat in the oven to 150-degree centigrade and cook the lemon curd covered shortbread for 10 to 12 minutes.
9. Take out and leave it to cool by itself in the pan. Refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes and take out.
10. Run a knife around the edges and gently remove the slab of shortbread. It will come out easily. Place it on a cutting board. With a long and sharp knife, cut it into four equal strips and cut each strip further into 3 bars each.
11. Dust the bars with powdered sugar or icing sugar and serve with tea.