lemon aval upma recipe / lemon poha upma recipe – is a tasty South Indian tiffin item made with aval or poha. It is an easy aval recipe and makes use of very few ingredients. Lemon aval upma is a variation to the regular aval upma. As the name suggests lemon aval upma is an aval upma recipe with lemony flavor.
lemon aval upma is very easy to make and can be made for breakfast, snack or dinner. This is best option which I often make when I don’t have idli dosa batter available. It can be made in a jiffy. I love the lemon flavor in dishes, especially, lemon rice, lemon sevai, and others.
lemon aval upma can also be made at times when you are fasting as it is a no onion no garlic recipe.
use thick aval for making lemon aval upma. I always use thick aval for making lemon aval, batata poha or kanda poha as it does not become soggy. But it is not must that you should use thick variety of poha. You can use the thinner variety also. But when you are using thin variety of poha for making aval upma, then wash it just before you add it to the tempering, otherwise, it will become soggy. I always prefer thin variety of poha while making aval nanachathu as it gets soft very fast. You can also add cashew nuts, roasted peanuts, while tempering. This will make the upma more tasty.
skip asafoetida powder to make poha upma gluten free.
Serve lemon aval upma with tea or coffee. This is a quick dish which can also be served for breakfast.
Let us see how to make lemon poha in simple steps:
Other similar recipes:
How to make lemon aval upma recipe with step by step pics
1. Pick and clean aval or poha. Thick aval is used for making lemon aval upma. Rinse the poha or aval twice or thrice under clear water. Then leave it aside for 5 minutes. During this stage, the aval will absorb the water and will get soaked well. Now squeeze out the excess water and keep it aside.
2. Heat gingerly oil or sesame oil in a wok or kadai. Splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, dry red chili, turmeric powder and hing. Saute well for a few seconds in low medium flame till dal turns golden brown.
3. Add soaked poha, salt and mix well. Keep stirring for 2 minutes so that the tempering gets well coated in the poha. Check for salt. Add more and mix if necessary. If you feel that the poha is a bit thick, then cover and cook for 2 more minutes. Otherwise, turn off the flame, and add lemon juice. Mix well once more.
4. Upma is ready. Serve lemon aval upma hot or warm.
Lemon aval upma recipe below
- aval or poha - 1 cup
- lemon juice - one small lemon
- salt - to taste
- for tempering
- oil - 2 teaspoons
- mustard seeds - ¼ teaspoon
- urad dal - ½ teaspoon
- channa dal - 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves - 1 sprig
- green chilies - 1 (finely chopped)
- turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- hing - a pinch
- dry red chili - 1
- Pick, clean and rinse 1 cup of thick aval.
- Rinse aval under running water for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Keep aside for 5 minutes without squeezing. After 5 minutes, squeeze out the excess water and keep aside.
- In a pan or kadai, heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, dry red chili, hing, and saute for a few seconds till the dal turns golden brown.
- Add soaked poha, salt, and stir well until seasoning gets mixed evenly.
- Check for salt and add if necessary.
- Turn off the flame and add lemon juice, mix well.
- Lemon aval upma is ready. Serve it hot or warm.
You can use any vegetable oil as per your taste preference, but sesame oil gives a nice flavor and taste.
Do not cook aval for a long time, as it may get hard.