Lachha Paratha/ laccha paratha recipe is a multi-layered paratha whose origin is from Punjab but now a days, it is very popular all over India. Since it is from Punjab, it is also called as Punjabi lachedar paratha / Punjabi lachha paratha.
Myself being from Kerala have grown up seeing Kerala Porotta and from my very young age, I used to think, how to make these layers and I used to watch very keenly the thattukada chettan when he makes parotta. Then as years passed, I became health conscious and started avoiding maida and Kerala porotta slowly went to the last position in my menu list. But I couldn’t avoid it completely and I started looking out for healthy options. This is when I came across lachha paratha. These parathas can also be made with half wheat and half maida. But taking the healthy point and since I was preparing for kids, I have made lachha paratha using wheat flour. No maida. You can see the layers very clearly in the picture.
Here I have given the step by step picture of how to make lachha paratha. I have made use of 2 cups of wheat flour for this purpose. You can also make use of 1 cup wheat flour and 1 cup maida also to make Lachha paratha.
You can also try out other paratha recipes like paneer paratha, aloo paratha, methi paratha, mooli paratha, methi thepla, barley fenugreek leaves paratha, oats spinach paratha, soya capsicum paratha and so on.
Lachha paratha recipe
- flour – 2 cups
- oil (for dough and parathas) – 3 tablespoons
- chat masala – 1 teaspoon
- salt – (to taste)
How to make lachha paratha
9. Apply butter on it and serve lachha paratha hot with any subzi or curd.
lachha paratha recipe below
- flour - 2 cups
- oil for dough and parathas - 3 tablespoons
- chaat masala - 1 teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- water - as required
- Add flour, add salt and 1 teaspoon of oil in a bowl Mix it well. Now add water slowly, little by little and make a soft and firm dough.
- Now press the dough and make some finger impressions on the dough, add a little water, cover the dough. Keep it aside for 10 - 15 mins.
- Take little oil in your hands press it and make the dough soft once more.
- Divide it into equal sized balls.
- Take a small ball, slightly flatten it with your hands, dip it in dry flour, and then roll it with the help of a roller pin.
- Make a circle. Then apply little oil on top of the circle and spread it evenly.
- Now sprinkle around ½ teaspoon of chat masala and a little flour on top of the oil.
- Spread the chat masala evenly on the top. The slowly, fold the flattened dough from one side and immediately fold it to the other side (like you take saree pleat) and end with the other side. You get a thin long strip.
- Press it well. Slowly pull it from the sides. You can find that it gets stretched. Then slowly roll it as you do for swiss roll and make coils.
- Now, remove the round, place it slowly in your palms and slightly press it towards the centre to show the layers very clearly.
- Apply butter on it and serve lachha paratha hot with any sabzi or curd
Enjoy lachha paratha hot with sabzi and yogurt.