kovakkai fry recipe | tindora fry – tasty south indian style side dish for rice.
While buying kovakkai or ivy gourd, make sure that they are not ripe. Ripe guards tastes sour. Kovakkais which are dark green in color and firm are usually not ripe.
kovakkai fry is a perfect dish to serve with rice.
kovakkai fry recipe| tindora fry
- ivy gourd or kovakkai – 250 grams
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- curry leaves – one sprig
- dry red chili – 1
- onion – 1, sliced
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
how to make kovakkai fry recipe ~ tindora fry
1. Rinse kovakkai well under clear water. Chop off the ends and cut them lengthwise. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil becomes hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, cumin seeds, hing and saute till urad dal turns golden.
3. Add thin sliced onion, and saute till onion turns light brownish in color.
4. Add sliced kovakkai, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, salt and lemon juice. Saute carefully for a few minutes.
5. Add 1/4 cup of water, mix well. Fry kovakkai on a low flame. Keep stirring every 5 minutes in order to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan. This will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
6. kovakkai fry is ready. Serve with rice.