|Toor dal||1 cup|
|Tamarind||1 gooseberry sized ball|
|oil||2 table spoon|
|mustard seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
|urud dal||1/4 teaspoon|
|dry red chilly||3|
|cumin seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
|asafoetida powder||1/4 teaspoon|
1. Wash the toor dal thoroughly in water. Drain it and add it to a pressure cooker and add 2 cups of water and turmeric powder. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Mash the dal, add one more cup of water .
2. Soak tamarind in water and extract the pulp. Add this pulp to the dal mixture, mix it and keep it separately for later use.
3. In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter. Then add urud dal, dry red chilly, cumin seeds, asafoetida powder and curry leaves. Sauté it for a few seconds.
4. Add onion, green chillies and crushed garlic. Sauté them till they turn golden brown. Then add chopped tomatoes and sauté them till they turn mushy.
5. Now add the dal mixture (dal with tamarind). Let it boil for 8 – 10 minutes (till the raw smell of tamarind goes off).
6. Turn off the stove and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
7. Serve it with rice, idly or dosa.
linking this to http://cookingwithsj.com/bachelor-cooking/
If you find this post useful, please share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving