Birthday is a special milestone in a child’s life and it definitely calls for special celebrations. Traditionally, Indian birthdays were just a new dress, pooja at home, a simple sadya or lunch at home and sweet distribution at school. But nowadays, there is a trend towards elaborate birthday celebrations. Organizing birthday sounds very interesting with family and friends around us on the important day. Most of us might have attended many birthday parties, but but organizing a kid’s birthday party can be quite a daunting task for parents. But with proper planning, you can throw a successful party.
If you have a birthday party coming up, then here are some simple step by step guide to plan your birthday party.
1. Theme and date – Start planning your kid’s birthday with a theme. Deciding a theme will make you feel more comfortable. You can organize your invitations, decorations, games, and food based on the selected theme. This will keep you organized.
Decide the theme based on the age of the child. If your child is one or two years old, you can decide a theme which he or she likes. If your child is 3 years and above, then it is a best practice to discuss with the birthday kid to avoid disappointments. Sit with your kid, give them a few suggestions, and listen to their ideas. They might probably have a favorite character in their mind. Note down the points so that they don’t get forgotten. Decide the theme for his or her party based on the availability of time and your budget.
Decide the date of the party and make sure that they don’t clash with public holidays or with your own appointments. Deciding the date in advance will also be helpful if you are hiring a venue.
2. Guest List and Invitations – If your kid is one or two years old, then you can make the guest list for the child, but if he or she is above 3 years of age, they should be consulted. Discuss with your kid on who they want to invite. Note down the names of your kids friends whom he or she wants to invite and add your list along with that. This will make the guest list. Getting the guest list ready will also help you decide how large a venue you want.
Once the guest list is ready, you can start preparing the invitations. The invitations can be either homemade or store bought. Making invitations at home can be a lot of fun and you can also get your kids help with this part of your party. Let them get creative in making the invitations. But if you don’t have time, you can buy them or have them custom made to fit to your theme. You can also download them, print and send them out to guests.
Word the invitations beautifully and make sure to send out the invitations at least three weeks ahead of the date. Make personal phone calls to all the guests at least one week before the event to let them know how important they are for you and your kid.
It is always difficult to do everything on your own. So recruit some of your family members and close friends for welcoming the guests, attending the guests, serving, take photographs, and also to collect and give return gifts.
click to buy birthday invitations
3. Venue – Home parties are often less expensive than the hired venues. If your guest list is long and you want to make things easier, then you can always opt for a hired venue based on your budget.
4. Decorations – Atmosphere is everything. Once you have decided the theme, then select the decorations based on the selected theme. If you have hired a venue, visit the venue and customize it as per your preference. If you are having an in-house party, then depending on the guest list, decide the best location in your house for the party. Clean the house and the area where the party is planned. Also plan and keep various zones separately like cake table, food and drinks table, drinking water, washing area, and the napkins. Also keep the return gifts neatly packed and ready so that they can be handed over easily when the guest leave.
Decorate the house one day in advance so that you get enough time to plan the food and cake smoothly once the decorations are done. Balloons can be prepared on the day of party, but it is better to get all the other decorations ready beforehand.
You can buy some of the birthday decoration items from here:
5. Games and Activities – This is must do for all the parties. Different games can be planned depending on the age of the child.
6. Food and Drinks – No party is complete without good food. The food you serve depends on the time you decide for the party. You can either choose to serve meals or simply get straight to cut the cake with some snacks. But if you are serving a meal, take care to start the party by 11 am to 12:30 pm or by 6pm – 7 pm. And if you want to move straight to cake cutting, start the party two hours before or one hour after the meal time so that your guests don’t go home hungrily.
Next decide the food which you are planning to serve. Also make sure to arrange less fuzzy foods so that the kids don’t mess with the food. Finger foods are hassle free
Once you have made the decisions, start making arrangements for food. You can either prepare them yourself at home, or else call a caterer and place order for the food in advance. If you are preparing food at home, then cut all the veggies and get the required ingredients ready beforehand so that you get enough time to enjoy the party.
7. Return gifts
And finally, send everyone off with return gifts. Ask your child to hand them the return gifts and say them thank you at the same time.
Some simple return gift ideas: click here!
Sharing some simple recipes you can try for your party.