khaman dhokla recipe with step by step photos. gujrati khaman dhokla is a very famous breakfast recipe from Gujrati cuisine. It is also called as khaman and is a steamed cake made with gram flour.
This instant khaman dhokla can be prepared in less than 20 minutes and needs no grinding or fermentation.
khaman dhokla is a healthy, nutritious snack. It can also be served for breakfast. It does not contain too much of oil. Only a little oil is used while tempering and uses healthy ingredients like gram flour, sooji, yogurt, and few spices.
Usually, I make dhokla using steam cooking method, just like the one I have shared in instant rava dhokla recipe. But it can also be prepared in microwave. If you want to prepare dhokla in microwave, then pour the prepared batter into a microwave safe bowl, and cook for 3 – 4 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. It may also take upto 4 – 5 minutes depending on the type of microwave.
khaman dhokla recipe
preparation time: 10 mins
cooking time: 15 mins
recipe type: breakfast, snacks
serves: 2 – 3
- gram flour or besan or kadalamavu – 1 cup
- rava or sooji or semolina – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- sugar – 2 teaspoons
- asafoetida powder or hing – a pinch
- green chili – 1, crushed
- ginger – 1-inch piece, grated
- lemon juice – 2 teaspoons
- salt – to taste
- eno fruit salt – 1 teaspoon, or baking soda
- water – 3/4 cup
- curd or yogurt – 1/4 cup
- oil – 1 teaspoon
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- sesame seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- hing – a pinch
- curry leaves – few
- grated coconut – 1 tablespoon
- sugar – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- water – 1/8 cup
how to make khaman dhokla recipe with step by step photos
1.Crush green chili and keep it aside. Grease a plate or a baking tray with oil. Keep aside.
2. Add gram flour, sooji or semolina in a bowl. Add curd or yogurt to it. Add water little by little and make a smooth batter without lumps.
3. Add crushed green chili, grated ginger, hing, salt, a pinch of turmeric powder, mix well. Mix the batter well and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
4. Bring water to a boil in a steamer or a pressure cooker.
5. When the water starts boiling, add eno fruit salt, or baking powder to the dhokla batter, lemon juice and mix quickly. Immediately, pour the batter into the greased tray and place it inside the steamer and steam cook for 10 – 12 minutes in medium flame or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If you are making dhokla in a pressure cooker, then cook for 10 – 12 minutes in medium flame without vent.
6. Once cooked, remove the tray from the steamer, and allow it to cool. Once cool, gently remove the sides using a knife and flip the cake into a tray.
7. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Add cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves, sesame seeds and saute for a few seconds. Add 1/4 cup of water, sugar and bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling, turn off the flame.
8. Pour the tempering over the dhokla.
9. Cut the khaman dhokla into pieces and serve with green chutney.
instant khaman dhokla recipe
- gram flour or besan or kadalamavu - 1 cup
- rava or sooji or semolina - 1 and ½ teaspoons
- turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- sugar - 2 teaspoons
- asafoetida powder or hing - a pinch
- green chili - 1, crushed
- ginger - 1-inch piece, grated
- lemon juice - 2 teaspoons
- salt - to taste
- eno fruit salt - 1 teaspoon, or baking soda
- water - ¾ cup
- curd or yogurt - ¼ cup
- for tempering
- oil - 1 teaspoon
- mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
- sesame seeds - ½ teaspoon
- hing - a pinch
- curry leaves - few
- grated coconut - 1 tablespoon
- sugar - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- water - ⅛ cup
- Crush together ginger and green chili, keep aside.
- In a bowl, mix besan or gram flour, semolina.
- Add curd, water little by little and make a smooth batter without lumps. Use a wired whisk for doing this.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, salt and the crushed green chili paste, grated ginger, and sugar. Mix well.
- Boil water in a steamer or pressure cooker.
- Meanwhile, grease a plate with oil. Keep aside.
- When water starts boiling, add eno fruit salt or baking powder, lime juice to the batter. Mix well.
- Immediately, pour the batter into greased plate and tap well.
- Place the plate inside the steamer or pressure cooker, and steam cook for 10 -12 minutes or until it gets cooked completely.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and then transfer the dhokla into another plate.
- In a pan, heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add cumin seeds, curry leaves, sesame seeds. Saute well for a few seconds.
- Add water and bring it to a boil. Add sugar and let it dissolve.
- Turn off the flame.
- Before serving, pour the tempering over the dhokla and toss well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, grated coconut cut and serve khaman dhokla with coriander chutney.