Onam is a very important festival in Kerala. This festival is celebrated in honour of home comming of King Mahabali (grandson of King Prahlada, a devote of lord Vishnu). Onam is celebrated in the first month Chingam, the first month of malayalam calender. This corresponds to the month of August – September.
Onam festival is celebrated for ten days, The first day being Attam and tenth day being Tiruvonam. Floral decorations called Pookalam, earthern mounts is prepared in the courtyard of the houses starting from Attam till Tiruvonam. Elaborate feasts called Onam sadya is prepared on this day.
Kaya means banana. This is very easy to make and has an important place in any Sadya. The main ingredient required for this is banana (nendran) and coconut oil. This is very well known by the name banana chips.
banana chips or kaya varuthathu is a must for kerala sadya. You might also be interested in other snack recipes like onion vada, masala papad, potato sandwich,
This is an easy and quick fried snack recipe which can be served for your kids and your family or friends.
banana chips recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: snack
cuisine: indian, kerala
serves: 2 – 3
- semi ripe banana (nendran) – 1
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- coconut oil (for frying)
- salt water
how to make banana chips recipe with step by step photos
1. Peel the banana. Make sure to take the entire green part off and slice it into thin round pieces.
2. In a bowl add water and salt. Mix it well. The water should be at room temperature. Check for salt and make sure to add more if you want. Add the plantain to this. Now drain it into a colander. Spread this on a kitchen towel. let it sit for a couple of minutes. Pat it dry.
3. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add the slices to the hot oil in batches. Fry them in a medium flame till they become nice and crispy.
4. Meanwhile, add salt to water and mix well. Dissolve it in water. Now before you take them out, sprinkle the salt water as per your taste. This step is optional.
5. Remove it from hot oil using a slotted spoon and transfer it to a kitchen towel or an absorbent paper.
6. banana chips is ready.