kathi roll recipe with step by step photos – a tasty veg wrap recipe which can be served as a snack, for breakfast or as brunch. kathi roll is nothing but tasty mildly spiced potato masala stuffed inside chapati or paratha.
making kathi roll at home consists of three main steps. First, make green chutney. Second, prepare potato stuffing and third, preparing chapati or paratha. Once the three steps are ready, the final stage is just assembling everything together and tasty kathi roll is ready in just 3 steps.
While preparing aloo masala for kathi roll, don’t mash the veggies too much. I have mashed the veggies because I want my kids to finish it off without knowing which vegetables are added to it.
I have used whole wheat flour for making veg kathi roll since I wanted to keep it healthy. But street vendors make kathi roll with maida or all purpose flour.
Let us see how to make veg kathi roll recipe with step by step photos.
kathi roll recipe
preparation time: 20 mins
cooking time: 20 mins
recipe type: snack, brunch
serves: 2 – 3
for chapati or paratha
- wheat flour – 1 cup
- salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- water – as required
- oil or ghee – 1 teaspoon + for making paratha
for aloo stuffing
- oil – 1 tablespoon
- cumin seeds or jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- onion – 1, small
- green chili – 1, finely chopped (optional)
- potato – 2 small, boiled, peeled and cubed
- carrot – 1, small
- peas – 1/4 cup
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
for green chutney
- coriander leaves – 1 cup
- mint leaves – 1 cup
- ginger – one-inch piece
- green chili – 1
- chaat masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- jeera powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- lemon juice – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
for veg salad mix
- onion – 1 small, thinly sliced
- capsicum – 2 – 3 tablespoons, thin slices
- carrot – 2 – 3 tablespoons, thin slices
- cabbage – 2 – 3 tablespoons, thin slices
how to make kathi roll recipe with step by step photos
1.Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into pieces. Steam cook potatoes, peas and carrots until cooked well but not mushy. Keep aside.
2. Prepare green chutney, keep aside.
3. Cut thin slices of onion, capsicum, carrot and cabbage. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add the sliced vegetables and saute well for a few minutes until veggies get cooked. They have to be cooked until just done and not mushy. Keep aside.
for making stuffing
4. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil becomes hot enough, add cumin seeds. Let it sizzle.
5. Add onion, green chili and saute well.
6. Add potato, carrot, peas, and saute well.
7. Add Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, salt and saute well. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off the flame. Potato masala for stuffing is ready. Allow it to cool.
for making chapati or paratha
8. Add whole wheat flour in a bowl. Add salt and oil. Mix well with your fingers. Add water little by little and knead it well to make a firm dough. Cover and keep it aside for 15 – 20 minutes.
9. After 20 minutes, take the dough and knead it once more. Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
10. Take each ball, dust it with wheat flour and roll it into circles with the help of a roller pin.
11. Heat a tawa or a griddle and grease it with oil. Place the circled dough onto the hot tawa and cook on both sides till golden spots appear on both the sides.
12. Transfer it to a plate. Repeat the same steps with the rest of the dough.
making kathi roll
13. Take each chapati or paratha, apply 1 teaspoon of green chutney on one surface.
14. Slowly place the potato stuffing in the center. Top it up with the prepared vegetable salad and sprinkle little chaat masala on top.
15. Fold one edge towards the inner side and slowly roll it tightly so that the filling does not come out. Finally. join two edges and pin them up using a tooth pick so that the rolls stay intact.
16. kathi rolls are ready to serve.
veg kathi roll recipe below
- for chapati or paratha
- wheat flour - 1 cup
- salt - ½ teaspoon
- water - as required
- oil or ghee - 1 teaspoon + for making paratha
- for aloo stuffing
- oil - 1 tablespoon
- cumin seeds or jeera - ½ teaspoon
- onion - 1, small
- green chili - 1, finely chopped (optional)
- potato - 2 small, boiled, peeled and cubed
- carrot - 1, small
- peas - ¼ cup
- turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- red chili powder - ¼ teaspoon
- garam masala - ¼ teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- for green chutney
- coriander leaves - 1 cup
- mint leaves - 1 cup
- ginger - one-inch piece
- green chili - 1
- chaat masala - ½ teaspoon
- jeera powder - ½ teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- lemon juice - 1 and ½ teaspoon
- for veg salad mix
- onion - 1 small, thinly sliced
- capsicum - 2 - 3 tablespoons, thin slices
- carrot - 2 - 3 tablespoons, thin slices
- cabbage - 2 - 3 tablespoons, thin slices
- Steam cook vegetables and keep aside.
- Prepare green chutney.
- Prepare veg salad. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add chopped onion, green chili and saute again till onion turns translucent.
- Add cooked veggies and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and salt.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves, mix well. Saute for a few minutes and then turn off the flame.
- For chapati:
- Take wheat flour, salt in a bowl. Add oil or ghee and mix well.
- Add water little by little and make a dough.
- Cover and keep it aside for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls. Roll them.
- Heat a griddle and grease it with oil.
- Put the circled dough onto the hot tawa and cook till golden brown spots appear on both the sides. Apply oil.
- For kathi roll:
- Place a chapati on a plate or a working board.
- Apply green chutney on one side.
- Place potato masala in the middle.
- Add veg salad on top.
- Add few pinches of chaat masala on top.
- Slowly fold one edge, and then roll it firmly starting from one edge.
- Join two edges using a toothpick.
- Serve immediately