kande pohe recipe / kanda poha – a tasty Maharashtrian breakfast or snack. Poha, Pohe is a snack made from flattened rice . It is a simple breakfast idea for busy days or whenever you feel lazy to cook. Kande pohe is a very tasty dish and takes less than 15 – 20 minutes for the entire preparation.
kanda is a Maharashtrian word for onion, and poha is a Maharashtrian word for aval or beaten rice. Since this recipe is made with onion and beaten rice, it is called kanda poha or kande pohe. It is also very famous with the name onion poha or maharashtrian kande pohe.
usually, we Keralites use red aval for making upma, but for kande pohe, I prefer thick white poha. You can use thick aval or thick red aval also. Kanda poha is very similar to our South Indian aval upma with a little variation. It is very tasty. My husband loves kande pohe with a cup of tea.
I always have aval or poha at home, as it is helpful while preparing easy snacks or breakfast. I often prepare lemon aval upma, aval upma or aval nanachathu (poha with jaggery and coconut) , batata poha as an after school snack.
while making kande pohe, rinse the poha well in water to remove all the dirt and also the poha should beccome soft. I always rinse the poha well in water till it becomes soft and then drain the water using a colander and leave it aside for 10 – 15 minutes. This will make the poha very soft. And very few ingredients are required while making kande pohe namely, poha, onion and basic spices.
Serve kande pohe with grated coconut and sev or with a cup of tea or coffee.
let us see how to make kande pohe recipe (kanda poha) with few simple steps.
kande pohe recipe with step by step pics
1. Wash and clean poha till it becomes soft. Drain it in a colander to remove excess water. Leave it aside for 10 – 15 minutes. By this time, poha will become soft. It should loose its crunchiness. When you press it between your fingers, poha should get mashed well.
2. Finely chop onion and green chilies. Cut lemon into half, take juice and keep aside. Chop coriander leaves finely.
3. Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Then add chopped onion, curry leaves, green chili, roasted peanuts and hing. Saute well till onion turns translucent.
4. Add turmeric powder, and saute again for a few seconds in low flame. Now add the soaked poha, salt and mix well. Cover and cook for a 3 – 4 minutes. (During this time, if you feel that the poha is not soaked well, sprinkle a little water, cover and cook).
5. Open the lid, add sugar and lime juice. Mix well. Finally, garnish with coriander leaves and grated fresh coconut.
6. Serve kande pohe hot with tea or coffee.
kande pohe recipe or kanda poha recipe below
- poha or aval - 1 cup
- onion -1 (finely chopped)
- green chili - 1 (finely chopped)
- turmeric powder - a pinch
- lime juice - to taste
- sugar - ½ teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- coconut - 1 tablespoon (grated)
- coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon finely chopped
- for seasoning
- oil - 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
- roasted peanuts - 2 - 3 tablespoon
- asafoetida powder or hing - a pinch
- curry leaves - few
- Pick and wash poha in water till it becomes soft. Drain it in a colander.
- Leave it aside for 10 - 15 minutes. It will become soft. It should loose its crunchiness.
- Finely chop onion and green chilies. Cut lemon into half, scrape coconut, keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves, peanuts, onion, green chili and hing. Saute well till onion turns transparent.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and saute again in low flame for a second.
- Add soaked poha, keep mixing. Keep the flame low to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add sugar and fresh lime juice. Mix well.
- Keep covered and cook again on low flame for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Finally add fresh grated coconut and coriander leaves.
- Poha is ready. Serve kande pohe with tea or coffee.