kalakand recipe – kalakand is a very popular Indian sweet recipe which is often prepared during festivals like Diwali, Holi, Janmashtami, Navratri and also on important festivals in India.
It is an Indian milk cake which is very soft, crumbly and almost melts in your mouth. There are various ways of making kalakand burfi. And here I am sharing an easy kalakand recipe made with paneer and condensed milk. This method also uses some milk powder so that milk thickens faster and makes the process less time-consuming.
Traditional kalakand is made with milk, sugar, and chenna. It is a very time-consuming process. This recipe of kalakand with condensed milk is a tasty recipe which can be made in less than 10 minutes. It uses very few ingredients like paneer, condensed milk, milk, milk powder, cardamom powder and pistachios. I haven’t added sugar here, as the sweetness from condensed milk was enough for us, but if you prefer more sweetness, then add 1 tablespoon of sugar.
There are two very important things to be noticed while making kalakand. First one, make this Indian sweet in a thick bottomed pan. The second one is keep stirring in low flame till the mixture gets cooked well, becomes thick and leaves the sides of the pan. Also, the paneer used should be very soft and don’t cook the paneer too much otherwise, it will become rubbery. The entire process will take some time, but it is worth trying. But compared to the traditional method, where the milk has to be reduced and curdled, this method is very easy and quick.
I also tried the traditional version. Will share the recipe soon.
quick kalakand video
preparation time: 2 minutes
cooking time: 10 minutes
recipe type: dessert
serves: 2 – 3
- paneer – 250 grams
- condensed milk – 1 tin or 400 grams
- milk – 1/2 cup
- milk powder – 2 tablespoons
- cardamom powder or elaichi powder – 1 teaspoon
- pistachios – for garnishing, finely chopped
how to make kalakand recipe with paneer and condensed milk
1. Grease a plate or an aluminum foil and keep it aside. Finely chop the pistachios for garnishing and keep aside.
2. Grate the paneer, mix it with milk powder and condensed milk. Add the mixture to a thick bottomed kadai or pan. You can make use of store bought or homemade paneer for making this dessert.
3. Keep the pan on flame and heat this mixture in low flame. Keep stirring continuously to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan. Take care to cook in a low flame and keep stirring continuously.
4. You will find that the mixture becomes a bit thick. Then add the milk. You can add 1 tablespoon of sugar if you prefer more sweetness. Again keep stirring continuously and cook on a low flame. Take care to cook on a low flame.
5. Add cardamom powder and mix well. Keep cooking the mixture until it leaves the sides of the kadai and is thick enough.
6. Pour the mixture into a greased tin or spread it on an aluminum foil. Garnish it with chopped pistachios.
7. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours and then cut it into pieces.
quick kalakand recipe | kalakand with condensed milk
- paneer - 250 grams
- condensed milk - 1 tin or 400 grams
- milk - ½ cup
- milk powder - 2 tablespoons
- cardamom powder or elaichi powder - 1 teaspoon
- pistachios - for garnishing, finely chopped
- Grease a tray and keep aside.
- Add grated paneer, condensed milk, milk powder to a pan. Mix well.
- Cook in a low flame till the mixture becomes thick.
- Add milk, mix well.
- Cook again on a low flame till the mixture becomes thick.
- Pour the mixture to a greased tray.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut into pieces and serve.