kadai vegetable recipe with step by step photos – Mixed vegetables cooked in an onion tomato gravy with freshly ground spices. vegetable kadai recipe is a tasty side dish for chapati, roti, and naan.
I have already shared kadai paneer recipe. The method of preparing kadai vegetable is almost the same except that it takes more cooking time than kadai paneer. If you are very fond of kadai recipes, you can also check kadai mushroom recipe.
Traditional kadai recipes are cooked in an iron wok or kadai and hence the name kadai vegetables as the vegetables are cooked in a wok or kadai. But if you don’t have a kadai, then you can make use of any pan.
Serve veg kadai hot with chapati, roti, naan, paratha or with jeera rice.
kadai vegetable recipe
preparation time: 15 minutes
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: main, side dish
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- onion – 1 medium, sliced
- tomato – 3 medium
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- capsicum – 1/2 cup
- carrot – 1/2 cup
- beans – 3 – 4
- potato – 1/2 cup
- green peas – 1/2 cup
- cauliflower – 4 – 5 florets
- water – 2 cups
- fresh cream – 1/4 cup
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – finely chopped
- coriander seeds – 1 tablespoon
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- dry red chili – 3 – 4
- cardamom – 2
- cloves – 2
- cinnamon – 1/2-inch piece
- peppercorns – 4 – 5
- kasuri methi or dry fenugreek leaves – 1 teaspoon
how to make kadai vegetable recipe with step by step photos
1. Let us start by preparing kadai masala. Heat a pan, add all the ingredients mentioned under the heading kadai masala and saute till spices start releasing a nice aroma. Transfer them to a plate and allow them to cool. Transfer the ingredients to a mixer jar and grind it to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
preparing vegetables for veg kadai
2. Add the tomatoes to a blender jar, puree them and keep them aside.
3. Steam cook all the vegetables except capsicum using a steamer pot till the veggies get cooked well. Keep aside.
4. Heat one teaspoon of oil in a pan and saute the capsicum on a low flame until the capsicum gets half cooked. Keep aside.
5. All our ingredients are ready. Let us now start preparing kadai vegetable curry. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add finely chopped onion and saute till they turn translucent.
6. Add ginger garlic paste, slit green chili and saute till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off.
7. Add tomato puree, mix well. Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and saute till the tomato paste thickens and oil starts separating on the sides of the pan.
8. Now add the cooked vegetables, mix well. Add around 1/2 cup of water, cover and cook for a few more minutes.
9. Now add the kadai masala and mix well.
10. Add the sauteed capsicum and mix. Cook on a medium flame for a few more minutes. Check for salt. If required add more. Finally, add fresh cream and mix. Turn off the flame.
11. kadai vegetable is ready. Serve with chapati, roti, naan
kadai vegetable recipe below
- oil - 2 tablespoons
- onion - 1 medium, sliced
- tomato - 3 medium
- turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
- ginger garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- capsicum - ½ cup
- carrot - ½ cup
- beans - 3 - 4
- potato - ½ cup
- green peas - ½ cup
- cauliflower - 4 - 5 florets
- water - 2 cups
- fresh cream - ¼ cup
- salt - to taste
- coriander leaves - finely chopped
- kadai masala
- coriander seeds - 1 tablespoon
- cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
- dry red chili - 3 - 4
- cardamom - 2
- cloves - 2
- cinnamon - ½-inch piece
- peppercorns - 4 - 5
- kasuri methi or dry fenugreek leaves - 1 teaspoon
- Heat a kadai. Add all the ingredients mentioned under the heading "for kadai masala".
- Fry on a medium low flame till they release a nice aroma.
- Let it cool. Grind it to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Steam cook all vegetables except capsicum.
- Add one teaspoon of oil in a pan and saute capsicum till half cooked. Keep aside.
- Puree the tomatoes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, and cook till oil starts separating on the sides of the pan.
- Add the cooked vegetables, ½ cup water, cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Add kadai masala and mix well.
- Add the sauteed capsicum, mix and cook on a medium flame for a few more minutes.
- Check for salt. If necessary, add more.
- Add fresh cream, mix well and turn off the flame.
- kadai vegetable curry is ready. Serve with chapati, roti, naan