kadai mushroom recipe with step by step photos – very easy to make mushroom recipe. It is a popular North Indian dish where button mushroom cooked in a simple tomato gravy. Kadai mushroom is a semi dry gravy for chapati, roti, naan.
This popular Indian dish is prepared in a kadai or kadhai. Hence the name kadai mushroom. Kadai is an iron wok which is used for cooking in India. Cooking in an iron wok gives a nice taste to the dish. kadai paneer is another popular Indian dish which is a favorite among all Indians.
But if you don’t have an iron wok, you can make use of any non-stick pan available with you for making this tasty kadai mushroom. This dish makes use of a special spice powder called as kadai masala powder which gives the actual taste and flavor to the dish.
Mushroom is my kid’s favorite and hence I make it very often. You will find many mushroom recipes in this blog. I had tasted kadhai mushroom in restaurants and wanted to make it at home. So, when I found a packet of fresh mushroom in the nearby market, I made this kadai mushroom. This dish is tangy, spicy and delicious. If you don’t like spicy food, you can adjust the spice according to your preference.
Serve kadai mushroom with chapati, roti, and naan.
kadai mushroom recipe
preparation time: 10 mins
cooking time: 20 mins
recipe type: side dish
serves: 2 – 3
- mushroom – 200 grams or 1 packet
- capsicum – 1 medium, sliced
- tomato – 2, medium
- onion – 1, medium
- ginger garlic paste – 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- kasuri methi or dry fenugreek leaves – 3/4 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- oil – 3 tablespoons
- salt – as required
for kadai masala
- coriander seeds – 1 tablespoon
- dry red chili – 3 – 4
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- cinnamon – 1/2-inch piece
- green cardamom – 1
- cloves – 2
- peppercorns – 3 – 4
how to make kadai mushroom recipe with step by step photos
1.Heat a pan. Add all the ingredients mentioned under for kadai masala into the pan. Dry roast in medium flame till it starts releasing a nice aroma. Turn off the flame. Allow it to cool.
2. When cool, add the roasted ingredients to a mixer jar and grind it to a coarse powder. You can also grind it to a fine powder if you wish to. Keep it aside.
3. Roughly chop the tomatoes. Add them to a mixer jar and grind it to a puree. Keep it aside.
4. Wash the mushrooms well to remove any dirt on the surface. Cut them into slices.
5. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add onion and saute well till it becomes translucent.
6. Add ginger garlic paste and saute well till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off completely.
7. Add the prepared tomato puree and saute well on medium flame till oil starts releasing on the sides of the pan.
8. Add chopped mushroom, capsicum and saute well. Add the prepared kadai masala powder, mix well.
9. As mushroom cooks it starts releasing water. After some time, you will find that the entire water evaporates.
10. Add crushed kasuri methi, salt, mix well.
11. Finally, add chopped coriander leaves, mix well and then turn off the flame.
12. Serve kadai mushroom with chapati, roti or with naan.
kadai mushroom recipe below
- 200 grams mushroom
- 1 medium capsicum, sliced
- 2 medium tomato
- 1 medium onion
- 1 to 1 and ½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- oil - 3 tablespoons
- salt to taste
- for kadai masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 3 to 4 dry red chili
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½-inch piece cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 3 to 4 peppercorns
- Add all the ingredients for making kadai masala powder into a pan and dry roast it in low flame till it starts releasing a nice aroma.
- Grind it to a coarse or fine powder.
- Grind tomato to make a puree.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onion and saute well till it turns translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomato puree and saute well till oil starts separating from the sides of the pan.
- Add mushroom and capsicum pieces, saute well.
- While cooking mushroom, water starts releasing. Cook till the water evaporates.
- Add kadai masala powder, salt, mix well.
- Finally, add chopped coriander leaves, mix well.
- Serve kadai mushroom with chapati, roti and naan