The method of making jeera aloo is very easy. Cook the potatoes and mix it with spices. It can be served as a side dish for chapati. It can also be served along with rice and rasam.
I always make jeera aloo with chapati when I am in a hurry. It is a no onion no garlic recipe and is perfect during navratri vrat when people fast and avoid onion. But when you are making jeera aloo for vrat, you can omit turmeric powder. When I posted dahi aloo recipe for vrat, one of my readers told me that they don’t use turmeric powder during fasting.
Now let us see how to make jeera aloo recipe with step by step photos.
jeera aloo recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 15 minutes
recipe type: main, side dish
serves: 2 – 3
- aloo or potato – 4, boiled, peeled and cubed
- cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- green chili – 2, chopped
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- lemon juice – 2 teaspoons
how to make jeera aloo recipe with step by step photos
1.Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker for 3 – 4 whistles or until they get cooked. You can also cook them in an open pan, but it is a little time consuming. So I often boil potatoes in pressure cooker. Let the pressure subside. Peel the skin of the potato, cut them into cubes and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle. Now add green chilies and saute in medium flame for a few seconds.
3. Add the cooked and cubed potato pieces, mix well with the cumin seeds and green chilies. Now add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well.
4. Saute the potatoes well for 4 – 5 minutes.
5. Finally, add finely chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice, mix well. Turn off the flame.
6. Serve jeera aloo hot with roti or with rice.
jeera aloo recipe below
- aloo or potato - 4, boiled, peeled and cubed
- cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- green chili - 2, chopped
- turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- red chili powder - ½ teaspoon
- garam masala - ¼ teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- coriander leaves - ¼ cup, finely chopped
- oil - 2 tablespoons
- lemon juice - 2 teaspoons
- Boil potato in a pressure cooker for 3 - 4 whistles. Peel them, cut into cubes. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Sizzle cumin seeds. Add chopped green chili.
- Add potato cubes, and saute well for a few minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, salt and mix well.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice, mix well.
- jeera aloo is ready. Serve with chapati or with rice.