iyengar paruppu urundai kuzhambu recipe – very easy to make South Indian style curry recipe for rice
paruppu means dal and urundai means balls. paruppu urundai kuzhambu is basically dal balls cooked in tamarind sauce. This is a very special and delicious curry recipe.
Today, I am sharing an iyengar version of urundai kuzhambu with no onion.
iyengar paruppu urundai kuzhambu recipe
for paruppu urundai:
- toor dal – 2/3 cup
- dry red chili – 2 to 3
- asafetida powder or hing – a pinch
- rice flour – 2 teaspoons
- curry leaves – few
- tamarind – one small lemon sized ball
- sambar powder – 2 teaspoons
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- jaggery – 1 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- gingely oil – 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin seeds or jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- fenugreek seeds or methi – 1/4 teaspoon
- chana dal – 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves – few
how to make iyengar paruppu urundai kuzhambu recipe with step by step photos
for paruppu urundai
1. Wash and soak toor dal and dry red chili for 1 hour. After 1 hour, drain the excess water completely. Transfer the soaked ingredients to a mixer jar.
2. Add salt, hing, curry leaves. Grind to a coarse paste without adding water.
3. Transfer it to a bowl. Keep aside.
for urundai kuzhambu
4. Soak tamarind in a cup of hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. Extract the juice and discard the pulp.
5. Heat oil in a kadai or a thick bottomed pan. Splutter mustard seeds.
6. Add methi, chana dal, cumin seeds, curry leaves and saute till dal turns golden.
7. Add tamarind extract along with 2 cups of water, jaggery, turmeric powder, and salt. Bring it to a boil. Boil it until the raw smell of tamarind goes off completely. This will take around 3 to 4 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, make small balls from the ground mixture, roll it in rice flour. Reduce the flame to low, add the prepared balls one by one into the kuzhambu.
9. Cook till the balls get cooked well. They will start floating on the top when cooked. Don’t stir the mixture after adding the urundai.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves. Turn off the flame.
11. paruppu urundai kuzhambu is ready. Serve with rice.