instant sambar – side dish for idli, dosa, rice. This is an instant sambar recipe which can be prepared in a few minutes.
sambar is a popular South Indian side dish which is served with idli, dosa, rice. It is often prepared with dal and a mixture of vegetables. Lentils are pressure cooked and mixed with vegetables and other spice powders to get tasty sambhar.
This instant sambar recipe can be prepared in a few minutes. It is a quick sambar recipe for idli, dosa, rice.
instant sambar recipe
- oil – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves – few
- dry red chili – 1, broken
- hing or asafoetida powder – a pinch
- shallots – 1/2 cup
- tomato – 2
- gram flour or besan or kadala mavu – 3 tablespoons
- potato – 1 medium, boiled and peeled
- carrot – 1 small, chopped
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- sambar powder – 1 and 1/2 to 2 teaspoons
- tamarind – one small marble sized ball
- coriander leaves – few
- salt – to taste
- water – as required
how to make instant sambar recipe with step by step photos
1.Add 1/2 cup of hot water to tamarind and keep it aside for 10 – 15 minutes. Extract tamarind extract and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, curry leaves, dry red chili and saute till dal turns golden brown.
3. Add sliced shallots, and saute again till it turns translucent.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, and saute again till they turn mushy.
5. Mix gram flour with a little water and make a paste without lumps. This will avoid formation of lumps. You can also add gram flour or besan as such. Add it to the the pan and mix well.
6. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, sambar powder, salt and saute for a few minutes.
7. Add boiled potatoes, carrots, and add the required amount of salt and water. Bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a rolling boil, reduce the flame, cover and let it cook for a 3 – 4 minutes.
8. Add tamarind extract, mix well and boil until the raw smell of tamarind goes off completely.
9. Check for salt. Add more if required.
10. Add finely chopped coriander leaves, mix well. Turn off the flame.
south indian instant sambar recipe below
- oil - 1 and ½ tablespoons
- mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- urad dal - 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves - few
- dry red chili - 1, broken
- hing or asafoetida powder - a pinch
- shallots - ½ cup
- tomato - 2
- gram flour or besan or kadala mavu - 3 tablespoons
- potato - 1 medium, boiled and peeled
- carrot - 1 small, chopped
- turmeric powder - ½ teaspoon
- red chili powder - ½ teaspoon
- sambar powder - 1 and ½ to 2 teaspoons
- tamarind - one small marble sized ball
- coriander leaves - few
- salt - to taste
- water - as required
- Make tamarind extract, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal, curry leaves, dry red chili, saute till urad dal turns golden brown.
- Add sliced shallots, and saute till translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, saute till mushy.
- Add besan or gram flour, red chili powder, turmeric powder, sambar powder and saute well.
- Add boiled potatoes, carrots, and mix well.
- Add required amount of water, salt and boil for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add tamarind extract, and boil until the raw smell of tamarind goes off completely.
- Add coriander leaves, mix well.
- Serve instant sambar with rice, idli, dosa.