gingerbread recipe – gingerbread is a tasty christmas treat.
preparation time:25 minutes
baking time: 60 minutes
makes: 16 squares
- all-purpose flour or maida – 275 grams
- baking powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- ginger powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- unsalted butter or refined oil – 78 grams (plus for greasing)
- brown sugar or muscovado sugar or organic sugar – 78 grams
- black treacle (optional) or molasses or jaggery syrup – 78 grams
- golden syrup or honey or corn syrup or maple syrup – 78 grams
- egg – 2
- milk – 150 ml
- chopped ginger stem – 2 tablespoons, for cake and for garnish
- icing sugar – 2 tablespoons, for garnish
how to make gingerbread recipe (modern way)
1.To make gingerbread, first, let us preheat oven at 160-degree centigrade. Prepare a 7-inch square cake pan by greasing with butter or oil and dusting with flour. Or use a baking spray.
2. Sift all the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ginger powder. Keep aside in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of chopped ginger and mix till it gets coated well.
3. Add the butter, sugar, treacle, and golden syrup in a saucepan and melt on the lowest heat so that the sugar melts completely. Keep it aside for 10 minutes till the mixture cools slightly.
4. Add the eggs and milk into this wet mixture and beat well with a spoon or a spatula till the eggs are nicely incorporated.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture 2 tablespoons at a time, and fold well. Mix well till everything comes together.
6. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes till the cake rises and firms up. In case you want a sticky gingerbread, then bake for 45 minutes. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes and take out on a wire rack.
7. If you are not serving immediately, then store in an airtight container. If you live in a hot region, then store them in the refrigerator. The longer the cake is stored, the better will be the flavors.
8. Take out 2 hours before serving. Top with slices of ginger stem and cut into squares. Sift icing sugar on top.
9. gingerbread is ready.