ghee roast dosa recipe with step by step photos. Homemade crispy ghee roast is very easy to prepare at home. If you have idli dosa batter ready, then making crispy dosa becomes an easy job.
dosa is a very popular South Indian breakfast item made with rice and lentils. It is served as a breakfast along with chutney and sambar.
These crispy dosas are loved by everyone, especially kids. My kids order ghee roast always whenever we visit any South Indian restaurant.
ghee roast dosa recipe
preparation time: 10 mins
cooking time: 20 mins
recipe type: breakfast
cuisine: South Indian
serves: 2 – 3
- idli rice – 2 cups
- urad dal – 1/2 cup
- fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
- beaten rice – 1/3 cup
- salt – to taste
- ghee – as required
how to make ghee roast dosa recipe with step by step photos
1.Wash and soak idli rice, and soak it with enough water for 4 – 5 hours or overnight.
2. Wash and soak urad dal, fenugreek seeds and soak it with enough water for 2 -3 hours.
3. Half an hour before grinding, wash poha and add it along with the rice.
4. Drain the excess water, add urad dal to the mixer jar and grind it to a smooth paste adding little water at a time. Grind it to a smooth paste. Transfer the batter to a bowl.
5. Drain the excess water from rice and grind it to a smooth paste by adding water little by little. Transfer the batter along with the urad dal batter. Add salt, mix well. Take a bowl large enough to hold the batter even after fermentation. If the bowl is small, then after fermentation, the batter will flow down.
6. Leave the batter aside for 10 -12 hours for fermentation. The amount of time required for fermentation depends on the region. If you live in a hotter region, the idli dosa batter will get fermented fast. and in a colder region, batter will take more time to ferment.
7. To begin making ghee roast dosa, take required amount of batter into a bowl. Add water if required to get the desired dosa batter consistency.
8. Heat a skillet in medium flame.
9. Pour a ladle full of batter on the hot tawa and spread it in circular motion. Drizzle 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of ghee around the edges of the dosa. Using the back of a ladle, gently scrape the areas where the batter is more.
10. Increase the flame a little and cook till the bottom of the dosa turns slightly brownish in color. Gently flip the dosa to the other side. Flip the dosa once more and fold into two.
5. Delicious crispy ghee roast is ready. Serve with sambar, onion tomato chutney, coconut chutney.
ghee roast dosa recipe below
- idli rice - 2 cups
- urad dal - ½ cup
- fenugreek seeds - 1 teaspoon
- beaten rice - ⅓ cup
- salt - to taste
- ghee - as required
- Soak idli rice, urad dal, fenugreek seeds separately in enough water for 4 - 5 hours.
- Just before grinding, add poha to the rice and leave it aside.
- Same way, grind urad dal, fenugreek seeds together with little water and grind to a smooth batter. Transfer to to a bowl.
- Grind rice and poha with just enough water to a smooth batter. Transfer it to a bowl along with urad dal batter.
- Add salt, mix well.
- Allow the batter to ferment for 10 - 12 hours.
- Take the required amount of batter, add water to get the desired dosa batter consistency.
- Heat a skillet and grease it with oil.
- Take a ladle full of batter and pour it onto the hot skillet. Spread the dosa in circular motion. Spread as thin as possible.
- Cook the dosa in medium flame till it becomes golden brown on one side.
- Flip the dosa to the other side and cook on that side too.
- Serve ghee roast with coconut chutney and sambar.