genoa cake recipe – tasty and easy to make dessert recipe
genoa cake is a tasty fruit cake filled with fruit.
genoa cake recipe
preparation time: 30 minutes
baking time: 60 minutes
serves: 12 servings
- unsalted butter or refined oil – 125 grams
- powdered sugar or caster sugar – 125 grams
- eggs – 3, beaten
- vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- lemon zest – 1 tablespoon, grated
- orange zest – 1 tablespoon, grated
- mixed preserved fruit or candied peel or tutti frutti – 200 grams (better if soaked in rum or brandy)
- chopped dried apricots – 2 tablespoons
- almonds – 25 grams, blanched
- self-raising flour – 175 grams (or 175 grams plain flour or maida mixed with 2 teaspoons of baking powder and sifted thrice)
- powdered mixed spice – 1 teaspoon
- cointreau or brandy or rum – 60 ml
- jam – 2 tablespoons, apricot or strawberry best
- water – 1 tablespoon
- colored maraschino cherries
- preserved pineapple slices
- dried strawberry, cherry and kiwi slices
how to make genoa cake recipe
1. To make genoa cake, first preheat an oven at 150-degree centigrade. Prepare a loaf pan by either greasing and lining it with parchment paper or by greasing and sprinkling it with flour. You can use a baking spray as well.
2. Combine the self-raising flour with the powdered mixed spice. Mix 1 tablespoon of flour with the fruit and 1 tablespoon of chopped almonds to be added in the cake. This ensures that the fruits do not sink to the bottom while baking.
3. Melt the jam with the water to make a thick solution. Keep aside to cool.
4. Combine the butter or oil and sugar, beat with an electric beater till pale and frothy. Add eggs 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat till the mixture increases to double the volume. Add in the vanilla extract and lemon zest and orange zest. Mix well.
5. Fold in the flour mixture 2 tablespoons at a time till it is completely used up. Add in the prepared fruits and fold again. Do not over mix. Spoon this mixture into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Tap the pan on a flat surface to remove any air bubbles.
6. Bake for 60 minutes till a skewer inserted at the center comes out clean. Cool the tin for 10 minutes and loosen the sides of the cake. Remove when completely cool.
7. Pierce the surface of the cake with a toothpick and spoon on the liqueur so as to fill the holes. I added 1/4 portion of maraschino syrup and 1/4 portion of preserve pineapple syrup to 1/2 portion of white rum. Leave for 10 minutes.
8. Brush the top with the prepared jam mixture till completely covered. Decorate with the assorted preserved fruits and almonds.
9. Cut into slices and serve with tea or punch. Refrigerate the cake in case you want to store it for a long time. Take out 2 hours before eating.