farsi puri recipe
preparation time: 15 mins
cooking time: 25 mins
recipe type: snacks
cuisine: gujrati, Indian
- all-purpose flour or maida – 1 cup
- semolina or sooji – 2 tablespoons
- cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- coarsely ground black pepper – 1 teaspoon
- ghee – 2 tablespoons
- salt to taste
how to make farsi puri recipe
1. In a bowl, add all-purpose flour, sooji or semolina, cumin seeds, and mix well. To this add coarsely ground black pepper. Add required amount of salt.
2. Add melted ghee to the flour. Now mix all the ingredients well using your hands. Rub the ghee and flour together with your fingers until everything gets combined well. You will find that mixture resembles bread crumbs. This step is very important to make your puri flaky. You can also add oil, but ghee is added in traditional farsi puri.
3. Add water little by little to the dough, and knead it to a stiff and firm dough.
4. Once the dough is kneaded, rest the dough for about 10 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into three equal parts. Take the first part, roll it into balls. Place them over a rolling board and roll it into a thick flat disc of diameter 11 – 12 inches.
6. Now apply some ghee on the rolled out puri evenly.
7. From one end, start rolling it and make it like a tube. Cut the roll horizontally into 1/2-inch long pieces.
8. Take one piece, and press it with your hand, make it flat, and start rolling it like a puri. Do this for all the pieces. Roll it thick like a mathri. Prick all the puris with the help of fork or knife.
9. Keep aside all the pricked puris for frying.
10. Heat oil in a pan. Check whether the oil is hot enough by adding a small piece of dough into the hot oil.
11. Gently drop the puris one by one into the hot oil and fry in medium low flame till golden brown in color.
12. Delicious farsi puri is ready.