ellu chutney recipe | sesame chutney – a tasty side dish for idli dosa.
sesame chutney | ellu chutney is a popular chutney recipe in South India. ellu chutney can be made using black or white sesame seeds and this chutney tastes great with its nutty flavor.
Recently I made ellu sadam and everyone liked it a lot and this chutney recipe for idli dosa is another addition to recipes using ellu.
ellu chutney recipe | sesame chutney
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 10 minutes
recipe type: chutney
cuisine: South Indian
serves: 2 – 3
equipment used: mixer grinder, tadka pan
- sesame seeds or ellu – 1/4 cup
- urad dal – 1 tablespoon
- coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
- dry red chili – 3 to 4
- tamarind – one marble sized piece, soaked in water
- salt – to taste
- oil – 1 teaspoon
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- hing or asafetida powder – a pinch
- curry leaves – few
how to make ellu chutney recipe for idli dosa ~ sesame chutney
1. To make ellu chutney, let us start the preparation by roasting the ingredients. Dry roast urad till dal starts changing color.
2. Next add sesame seeds or ellu and saute for a few seconds followed by dry red chili and grated coconut. Saute for a few seconds and then turn off the flame. Allow the mixture to cool.
3. Transfer the contents to a mixer jar. Add the soaked tamarind piece, salt and water. Grind it to a smooth paste.
4. Let us now prepare tadka for sesame chutney. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a tadka pan. Splutter mustard seeds.
5. Add curry leaves, hing, mix. Turn off the flame. Pour the tempering over the chutney.
6. ellu chutney is ready. Serve sesame chutney with idli dosa.