danish pastry recipe – a buttery, flaky pastry which can be made at home with homemade pastry dough.
I have used unsalted butter here, but you can use salted or unsalted butter as per your preference. Moreover, some people prefer more salt and some less. So using unsalted butter gives you preference to add salt as per your taste preference.
I love the smell of fresh bake and the aroma of the butter tingling the senses.. here is something that I absolutely love, anytime in the day.. and something like this during the holiday season with hot cuppa tea is heaven !! Try this danish pastry recipe and I am sure, you would love it. crispy, buttery pastry with jam/preserve, a delightful treat.
Let us see how to make danish pastry recipe.
danish pastry recipe
preparation time: 3 to 4 hours
baking time: 12 – 15 minutes
recipe type: snack recipe
- maida – 3 and 2/3 cup
- instant yeast – 1.75 teaspoon
- sugar – 1/3 cup
- salt – 2.5 teaspoons
- unsalted butter – 2 tablespoons
- water – 1 cup
- cream – 3 tablespoons
- butter – 1 cup
- raspberry or apricot or strawberry conserve or jam
- 1 egg + 2 egg yolks
how to make danish pastry recipe
1.To make danish pastry recipe, first mix all the ingredients mentioned under “dough” to form a soft dough.
2. Cover it with a cling film and keep it aside for 1 hour in normal room temperature.
3. Roll the proofed dough into a rectangular shape of 35 x 25 cm size. Cover this dough with a cling film and chill it in the fridge overnight.
4. The next day, cut a butter paper of 25 x 18 cm dimension. Cut the butter paper in such a manner that it looks like a book cover having the dimensions mentioned on both the sides. Leave some extra butter paper so as to fold and seal.
4. Take the cold, 1 cup of butter and slice it into smaller pieces. Put the pieces inside the butter paper and fold the edges to seal it.
5. Bash and roll the butter using a rolling pin so that the butter forms a thin sheet on the butter paper. Chill it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
6. Now roll the dough flat enough so that the butter sheet can be placed inside and then covered by the dough.
7. Now roll the dough stuffed with butter vertically into a (55*20) cm rectangle.
8. Fold the rectangle, bring one end to the middle. Then bring the other end on top of it.
9. Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
10. Repeat this procedure 2 more times.
11. Chill the dough after this for at least 6 to 7 hours.
12. Now roll the dough into a (61 * 23) cm rectangle.
13. Trim the ends to make perfect edges using a knife.
14. Cut the dough into equal squares.
15. Take each square, make small cuts at each edge, tuck one end to the middle to form the flower.
16. Whisk the egg and egg yolks, brush this on the flowers.
17. Proof it at room temperature for 1 hour.
18. Brush the pastries with age wash again, make a small dent in the center.
19. Put about 1/2 tablespoon of the jam in the center.
20. Bake them at 200-degree centigrade in a preheated oven for the first 10 minutes and then at 190-degree centigrade for another 10 to 12 minutes.
21. Transfer them to a wire rack and allow it to cool. danish pastry is ready to serve.