Dal tadka is a very tasty and flavorful Indian dish. This is very popular and is served in restaurants and tastes great with jeera rice, phulka or also with plain rice. It is a very simple, comforting and quick fix dish that one can whip up in minutes. I usually make this when I am in a hurry. Make jeera rice and then in another pressure cooker, cook dal and then add the temperings. Tadka is a hindi word for “tempering”. In this method, dal is first cooked with onion and tomato for 5 – 6 whistles. Then the spices are fried in ghee / oil and added to the dal mixture. Tasty dal tadka ready. Dal tadka is a very nutritious lentil dish and very easy to prepare too. Dinner is always chapati or phulka in my family and I often prepare this dal tadka to go with it.
Dal tadka recipe makes use of very basic and simple ingredients and you get yummy dal in minutes. Have it with a bowl of rice, dal and pappad , it tastes heavenly.
How to make dal tadka – Mix all the three dals, and soak them for 15 minutes. In a pressure cooker, saute onion, tomato, green chilly and garlic till the raw smell goes off. Then add dal, turmeric powder, salt and cook for 5 – 6 whistles. Finally, temper spices in ghee or oil and then add it to the cooked dal. Serve it and enjoy.
|toor dal||1/2 cup|
|masoor dal||1/4 cup|
|channa dal||1/4 cup|
|garlic||2 (finely chopped)|
|green chillies||1 – 2|
|cumin seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|garam masala powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|coriander leaves (chopped)||1 -2 tablespoon|
|oil/ ghee||2 tablespoon|
|mustard seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|cumin seeds / jeerakam||1 teaspoon|
|dry red chilly||2|
|ginger||1 inch piece (finely chopped)|
1. Measure, clean the dals. Mix all the dals together and soak it in water for 15 minutes. Keep aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a pressure cooker, heat oil. When hot enough, add cumin seeds. Once cumin seeds sizzle, then add onion, garlic, green chilly and saute till golden brown.
3. Then add tomatoes and fry till raw smell goes off. Add garam masala and saute again,
4. Next add soaked dal, water (around 3 cups), salt and turmeric powder.
5. Pressure cook for 5- 6 whistles in medium flame.
6. Once cooked, mash the dal with a potato masher or back of a spatula. Keep it aside.
7. Heat 2 tablespoon of ghee / oil in a kadai. Add all the ingredients given under “for tempering” and simmer the flame.
8. Now pour the tadka mixture into the cooked dal, mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves.
9. Serve hot with rice or roti.
If you find this post useful, I would be happy if you can share this with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving