dahi bhalle recipe | dahi vada | dahi bhalle – is a popular north indian street food.
The method of preparing dahi bhalle can be divided into two main steps: first is preparing the vada or the bhalle and the second step is assembling everything together.
The procedure is very similar to that of dahi vada with slight variations but to be frank both are extremely tasty.
dahi bhalle recipe
- urad dal – 1/2 cup, soaked
- ginger – 2 teaspoons, finely chopped
- cashew nuts – 1/2 teaspoon, finely chopped
- coconut – 1/2 teaspoon, grated
- milk – 1/4 cup
- cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- sweet tamarind chutney – 1 tablespoon
- green chutney – 1 tablespoon
- pomegranate seeds – one handful
- oil – 1 teaspoon
- asafetida powder or hing – a pinch
- green chili – 1, finely chopped
- raisins – 1/2 teaspoon
- curd or yogurt – 1 cup
- sugar – a pinch
- black salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – few, finely chopped
how to make dahi bhalle recipe
1. To make dahi bhalle, first soak the dal for 3 to 4 hours. Drain the excess water, and transfer it to a mixer jar. Add hing, ginger, green chili and salt.
2. Grind it to a smooth paste. Do not add more water while grinding. If necessary, add very little water.
3. Transfer the urad batter to a bowl. To this, add cashew nuts, raisins, grated coconut and a pinch of salt.
4. Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Heat over medium flame. When the oil is hot enough, carefully drop a spoonful of batter into the hot oil.
5. Fry till the vada becomes golden brown and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bhallas from hot oil. Drop the bhallas into a bowl of water for 15 to 20 minutes. Squeeze out the excess water, keep aside.
6. Meanwhile, whisk together curd, milk and sugar in a bowl. Add the vada pieces to a bowl. Pour the curd mixture on top of the vada. Sprinkle black salt, cumin powder, sweet tamarind chutney and green chutney on top. Again top it up with finely chopped coriander leaves, green chilies and pomegranate seeds.
7. dahi bhalle is ready. Serve chilled.