cornmeal vegetable upma recipe | makai upma recipe – a tasty, healthy and filling breakfast or dinner.
upma is a popular South Indian dish which is served for breakfast or dinner along with coconut chutney. There are various upma varieties served for breakfast like rava upma, semiya upma, rava kichadi and so on.
This cornmeal upma is a variation to the regular upma varieties and is also easy to make. If you are in a mood to make healthy and tasty breakfast in less time, then do try out this makai upma. It is a simple Indian breakfast recipe which can be made in minutes.
Let us see how to make cornmeal vegetable upma recipe.
cornmeal vegetable upma recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: breakfast, dinner
equipment used: kadai
- cornmeal – 1 cup
- oil or ghee – 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
- chana dal – 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin seeds or jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- asafoetida powder or hing – a pinch
- curry leaves – few
- onion – 1/2, finely chopped
- ginger – 1 small piece, finely chopped
- green chili – 1, slit
- mixed vegetables – 1/2 cup (I used carrots, beans, peas)
- water – 2 cups
- salt – to taste
- ghee – 1 teaspoon, optional
how to make cornmeal vegetable upma recipe
1. Add cornmeal to a pan. Dry roast it in a medium flame till it releases a nice aroma. Transfer it to a plate and allow it to cool.
2. Heat oil or ghee in a pan or kadai. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add urad dal, chana dal and saute till dal turns golden. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and hing. Saute for a second.
3. Add finely chopped onion, ginger, green chili and saute till onion turns light brown in color.
4. Add vegetables and saute well. I added steam cooked vegetables. You can add finely chopped vegetables and saute for a few minutes.
5. Add water, salt and bring it to a boil. Check for salt. If necessary, add more.
6. When the water starts boiling, reduce the flame to low, and then add the roasted cornmeal. Keep stirring in order to avoid lumps.
7. Cover and cook on a low flame till cornmeal gets cooked well.
8. Once the cornmeal is cooked well, open the lid, add a teaspoon of ghee, mix well.
9. Serve cornmeal vegetable upma hot with coconut chutney.