coconut burfi recipe with step by step photos – coconut burfi is a traditional Indian dessert made with coconut and sugar as the main ingredient.
coconut burfi is a tasty sweet recipe which can be made within 15 minutes if you have grated coconut readily available. This burfi can be made during all festivals like diwali, raksha bhandan or any other.
fresh grated coconut is used for making coconut burfi. But if you don’t have fresh ones, you can use desiccated coconut also, but soak them in milk before using it.
This is a recipe of coconut burfi is made without milk. Traditionally, burfi is made with milk and sugar. But there are various variations of this burfi made with milk, milkmaid and many others. But I am sharing an easy version of coconut burfi which uses only 3 main ingredients coconut, sugar and water.
to make coconut burfi, saute the coconut in ghee for a few seconds so that the moisture goes off. Make sugar syrup of one string consistency, add the sauteed coconut, mix well. Cook till it starts leaving the edges. Spread on a greased plate and cut into squares or any desired shape.
Let us see how to make coconut burfi recipe with step by step pictures.
coconut burfi recipe
preparation time: 10 mins
cooking time: 20 mins
recipe type: dessert
serves: 3 – 4
- coconut – 2 cups, grated
- sugar – 1 and 1/2 cups
- cashew nuts –
- cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- water – 1/2 cup
- ghee – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
how to make coconut burfi recipe with step by step photos
1. Scrape coconut. Take care not to take the brown part of it. The addition of brown parts of coconut, gives a difference in color. This is one important point to remember while making coconut burfi. If there are big pieces of coconut, then add the scraped coconut to a mixer jar and give it one pulse. This step is optional. Keep it aside.
2. Heat 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of ghee in a pan. When the ghee is hot enough, add broken cashews and roast them till they start changing color. Transfer it to another plate. Keep it aside.
3. Reduce the flame to low. In the same pan, add grated coconut and saute well. It is better to use a non-stick pan so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Transfer it to another plate and keep it aside.
4. Add sugar and water in a pan. Mix well till sugar dissolves completely and starts bubbling. Keep stirring continuously until it reaches a single thread consistency. Take a drop of syrup between your thumb and index finger and gently If it forms a single string between them, then it is the right consistency.
5. Add grated coconut, 1/2 teaspoon of ghee, and mix well. Keep stirring continuously in medium flame until you find the mixture thickening and start leaving the sides of the pan. Add cardamom powder, roasted cashews, mix well and then turn off the flame.
6. Transfer the mixture to a greased tray and spread it evenly. Cut coconut burfi into squares when it is still warm.
7. Allow it to cool and then store it in an air-tight container.
coconut burfi recipe below
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1 and ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 and ½ teaspoon ghee
- 5 to 6 cashew nuts
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Grease a tin or a plate and keep it aside.
- Scrape coconut and keep it separately. Take care not to take the brown part of the coconut.
- Heat ghee in a pan and roast cashew nuts. Transfer it to a plate and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add scraped coconut and saute for a few seconds on medium flame. Transfer it to another plate and keep separately.
- Add sugar and water in a pan. Bring to a boil and make a syrup of one string consistency.
- Immediately, add coconut, ghee, cardamom powder, and mix well. Keep stirring continuously until the mixture starts thickening and comes together as a mass.
- Turn off the flame.
- Spread the mixture on the greased plate and spread it evenly.
- While it is still warm, cut it into squares or any desired shape.
- Allow the coconut burfi to cool and then store it in an air-tight container.