Sago payasam / Chowari payasam / Javarisi payasam is an easy to make payasam / sweet. My mother doesnot like sago and hence it was not prepared at home. So semiya payasam was considered to be easiest payasam before marriage. But after marriage, I found my hubby doesn’t like semiya payasam and so started making this sago payasam when ever I have some left over milk with me, this is one of the easiest option. It is also prepared during family functions, but most of the time, Kerala payasams with coconut milk like chakka pradhaman, cherupayar pradhaman etc. is preferred. Here, I have made use of saffron which gave a slight yellowish colour to the payasam but it is quite optional. Now to the recipe..
|sago / chowari / javarisi||1/2 cup|
|cardamom powder / elakka podi||1/4 teaspoon|
|saffron (soaked in 2 tablespoon of milk)||few strands|
1. Soak sago / chowari in water for 1 hour. After that you will find that it is fluffy and soft. Drain the water completely and keep it aside.
2. Soak saffron strands in 2 tablespoons of milk and keep it aside.
3. In a bowl, add 3 cups of water and bring it to boil. Now add the soaked sago pearls to it and let it cook until sago becomes soft and transparent.
4. Meanwhile, bring milk to boil in another pan. Once the milk starts boiling, simmer and let the milk reduce a little.
5. Then add sugar and mix well till the entire sugar gets dissolved. Keep the flame in low.
6. Then add the cooked sago, simmer and cook for a few more minutes around 2 -3 minutes. Do these process keeping the flame low.
7. Now add cardamom powder and mix. Give it a stir and cook for another 2 more minutes until sago gets completely blended with milk.
8. Now add the soaked saffron and milk. Mix it well. (This step is optional. ) Now add the roasted nuts. Mix well.
9. Chowari payasam is ready. This can be served either hot or cold.
If you find this post useful, I would be extremely happy, if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving