cherupayar curry recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: main
serves: 2 – 3
- cherupayar or green gram or whole moong dal – 1 cup
- onion – 1, finely chopped
- green chili – 2 – 3
- tomato – 2 medium, finely chopped
- red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- oil – 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves – few
- fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
- cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
- cardamom – 1
- cloves – 1
how to make cherupayar curry or whole moong dal curry
1. To make whole moong dal curry, add the washed and cleaned green gram to a pressure cooker. Add 2 1/2 cups of water and cook on a medium flame for 5 whistles. Wait till the pressure subside then open the pressure cooker.
2. In a pan or kadai, heat oil. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. When it splutters, add curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
3. Now add chopped onions, slit green chillies and saute till onions turn translucent.
4. Now add finely chopped tomatoes and saute them till they turn mushy and oil starts separating on the sides of the pan.
7. Now add 2 cups of water, mix well. Bring it to a boil. Add the cooked green gram to it slowly and mix it well. Bring it to a boil. Reduce the flame to low, cover the pan with a lid and cook for a few minutes. Finally, add in a few finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish.
8. Turn off the stove. Serve whole moong dal curry with chapati, roti, rice, puttu.