|split moong dal / cheru parippu||1 cup|
|semi thick coconut milk / randam pal||1 cup|
|thick coconut milk / onnam pal||1/2 cup|
|cardamom powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|cumin powder / jeera powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|dry ginger powder / chukku podi||1/4 teaspoon|
|cut coconut bits||1 tablespoon|
|cashewnuts||10 – 15|
|ghee / clarified butter / nei||2 tablespoon|
1. In a thick bottomed pan (usually uruli is used, I don’t have an uruli so I used pressure cooker), roast moong dal nicely till it changes colour. (Don’t make it too brown it should break when you bite. That is the right consistency. ). Keep it aside.
2. In the same pan, boil 3 cups of water, and add the washed moong dal to it and let it boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the flame and let it cook till done. Let the entire water get absored. Now with the back of a ladle, mash it nicely. (You can also pressure cook for 1 – 2 whistles. )
3. Meanwhile, put jaggery in a deep bottomed pan, add 1/2 cup- 1 cup of water and melt it. Once it boils, it will foam out. So stay close and once it boils, bring the flame to sim and switch off the stove. Allow it to cool and strain it through a metal strainer to remove all the impurities.
4. Now once the dal is cooked well, mash it up, and add the jaggery syrup to it and mix it well. Bring it to boil and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. Keep stirring so that it doesnot stick to the bottom.
5. Once this gets reduced, add half of the semi thick coconut milk. To the other half add cardamom powder, dry ginger powder and cumin powder. Mix it and add it to the payasam. Mix it well, boil again on low flame for another 8 – 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. Click here to see how to make coconut milk
6. Finally add thick coconut milk, mix it and turn off the stove. Keep stirring until the milk is incorporated. (Donot boil the coconut milk. It will curdle. )
7. Finally add fried cashews, fried coconut bits and 1/2 teaspoon of ghee.
8. Delicious parippu pradhaman is ready.
If you find this post useful, I would be happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving