chena mezhukkupuratti recipe or kerala style yam fry – a tasty side dish for rice.
chena is the Malayalam name for yam. The method of making chena mezhukkupuratti is very easy, but the main procedure lies in how to cook yam. You cannot cook yam like you cook other vegetables. It is itchy in nature. The first step is to remove the skin and then cut it into pieces. After cutting then rinse them well twice or thrice in water without touching them. This will work well in most of the cases. Make sure you cook the yam and drain the excess water before you mix them with other masala.
Let us see how to make chena mezhukkupuratti recipe.
chena mezhukkupuratti recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 15 minutes
recipe type: main
cuisine: kerala, Indian
serves: 2 – 3
- chena or yam – 200 grams, cut into pieces
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- curry leaves – few
- fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- onion – 1, medium
- ginger – one big piece, finely chopped
- green chili – 1, chopped
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
how to make chena mezhukkupuratti recipe
1.Remove the skin from the chena and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Rinse them twice or thrice in water. Do not touch them with your hands, they are itchy.
2. Cook the chena pieces with enough water and salt till they become tender. Make sure that you don’t overcook them. Drain the excess water.
3. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Add fennel seeds and let it sizzle. Add finely chopped onion, ginger, green chili, curry leaves and saute well till onion turns translucent.
4. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder to 1 tablespoon of water and make a paste. Add this paste to the pan, and saute well till the raw smell goes off.
5. Now add the cooked chena pieces and saute well till the masala gets coated well on the yam.
6. Cook on a low flame for another 6 – 10 minutes. Keep stirring in between to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan. Saute well until they get roasted well.
7. Finally, add pepper powder, mix well. Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, mix well and then turn off the flame.
8. Serve chena mezhukkupuratti hot with rice.