Kabuli chana pulao – a tasty one pot dish made with kabuli channa or garbanzo beans. White channa is also called as Kabuli channa or Garbanzo beans. It is rich in proteins and an essential food for vegetarians. There are two types of chick peas : one is desi – the black one with a rough skin and the other is Kabuli – the white channa. Here I have made this recipe using Kabuli channa or the white channa. Chana is very healthy and is rich in proteins. I always chana masala as a side dish for chapathi which my kids like a lot. You can also check chana masala recipe here.
Basmati rice – 2 cups
kabuli channa – 1 cup
onion – 2
tomato – 2
green chilly – 2
ginger – 2 tsp
bay leaf – 1
cardamom – 3
cinnamon stick – 1
cloves – 4
pepper corn – 1/4 tsp
mint leaves – 1/2 cup
coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
chilly powder – 1 1/2 tsp
coriander powder – 1 tsp
garam masala – 1/2 tsp
salt – to taste
water – 3 1/2 cups
vegetable oil – 2 – 3 tablespoon
1. Wash the chickpeas. Soak it in water for 8 hrs. Drain the water. Add 3 cups of fresh water, salt and a pinch of turmeric powder and pressure cook it for 5 – 6 whistles or until chana turns soft.
2. Wait till the pressure subsides. Once it cools, drain the water from cooked chana and keep both separately. This water can be used while cooking rice.
1. In a pan, heat oil, add the bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and sauté for a minute.
2. Now add the chopped onions and the ginger and sauté well till the onions turn translucent.
3. Now add the green chillies. Sauté again.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes stir well. Saute until it turns mushy.
5. Now add all the masalas to it. chilly powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, pepper, mint leaves and coriander leaves. Sauté nicely.
6. Now add the cooked channa, and saute for few minutes.
7. Add the cleaned rice to this and stir for 5 minutes. Take care the rice should not break. Now add water. (and water (the cooked water + fresh water).
8. Cover the pressure cooker and reduce the flame to low and cook for 10 minutes.
9. Keep it aside for 5 min
10. Once the pressure subsides, open the lid. Fluff the rice with a fork and add little more coriander leaves.
11. Serve it hot with any raita or salad of your choice.
For more similar recipes:
If you find this post useful, please share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below,. This will keep me motivated.