Chaas or buttermilk recipe – a tasty summer drink made with yogurt or curd and is popular throughout India. It is also called as chaach.
Today, I am sharing plain chaas recipe, which is also called as plain salted chaas.
Thick curd or yogurt is whisked well and mixed with water to make this wonderful drink. It is made throughout India, but depending on the states you will find some variations in the flavors. In the North it is called as chaas whereas in the South, it is known as majjige in Kannada, mor in Tamil and moru in Malayalam.
Chaas is a wonderful thirst quencher. It is a perfect drink during this hot summer where you need something to beat the heat. The addition of ingredients are up to your taste. You can change the quantity according to your taste preference.
I make buttermilk or neer mor or sambharam (kerala style) very often. And during summer, it is a regular item in our family.
This indian style buttermilk will help to cool your body during summer. It is not only good for cooling body heat, but it also aids in digestion. Here I have made plain chaas but you can also make masala chaas by adding other ingredients like green chili, chaat masala. It would also be tasty. But I always prefer plain ones during summer.
Let us see how to make chaas using this simple buttermilk recipe.
Chaas or buttermilk recipe
- curd - 1 cup
- water - 2 cups
- salt - ½ teaspoon
- black salt - ¾ teaspoon
- roasted cumin - ½ teaspoon
- coriander leaves - 2 tablespoon
- Add thick curd to a bowl. Mix it with a hand blender or a wooden churner.
- Add water and mix well.
- Add salt, black salt, and mix well. If you don't have black salt, omit it. You can use regular salt instead. Black salt gives a nice taste to the chaas.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Keep it in refrigerator till serving. Pour it into a glass and serve.
You can also add green chilies while making chaas.