Carrot chutney – is a tasty chutney that can be served with idli / dosa. We all agree with the fact that vegetables are good for health and it needs to be included in our daily food. This is one such method by which we can add vegetables. I have already shared many vegetable based recipes and this is one addition to it. For the past few days, I am making this chutney on a regular basis. Everyone likes this chutney at home, and the addition of tomatoes help to overcome the sweetness in carrot. I also add a pinch of tamarind while grinding if I feel that the sweetness still exists. This can be served as a side dish for idli / dosa. This can also be served as a side dish for chapathi / roti. Today I made it and served it along with neer dosa.
Other chutney recipes:
|dry red chilly||3 – 4|
|garlic||4 – 5|
|asafoetida powder / hing||one generous pinch|
|ginger||1 small piece /|
|curry leaves||3 – 4|
|channa dal||1 teaspoon|
|mustard seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|urud dal||1/2 teaspoon|
1. Heat oil in a pan / kadai . Add channa dal, dry red chilly and saute for a few seconds till channa dal becomes light golden brown in color.
2. Add in chopped onion, garlic and ginger and saute nicely till onion becomes translucent and the raw smell of garlic goes off.
3. Next add carrots and saute again for 2 minutes.
4. Now add in tomatoes, salt, saute nicely till it turns mushy. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes till the carrot pieces get cooked well. (Add 1 teaspoon of water if you feel that the mixture is dry. ). Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
5. Transfer the mixture to a mixer jar and blend it nicely. Add 1 teaspoon of water while blending.
6. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, and when it splutters, add urud dal followed by curry leaves. When urud dal becomes golden brown in color, turn off the stove and add the tempered ingredients to the chutney. Mix it well.
7. Chutney is ready. Serve it with idli / dosa.
If you find this post useful, I would be happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving