Carrot beans thoran recipe – a tasty side dish for rice. It is a Kerala style recipe which is served along with rice and sambar or any other curry. Carrot beans thoran is a thoran recipe made with a combination of carrots and beans.
Thoran, as I have already told, is a vegetable based stir fry which contains finely chopped vegetables with grated coconut. It makes use of very few ingredients the main ones being finely chopped vegetables, shallots, curry leaves and coconut. Thoran makes use of very less oil which makes it a very healthy side dish for rice. It is a Kerala dish to be eaten along with steamed rice. Thoran is also prepared during Sadya.
It is not that thoran is made only with carrot or beans it can be made with long beans, plantain, raw jackfruit, potato, jack fruit seeds, cabbage (which I have already shared with you). You can use almost any vegetable to make thoran. Like carrot beans thoran, you can also make thoran with combination of vegetables like cabbage and cluster beans, and many others.
There is another name for this thoran which is Upperi. It is called Upperi in Malabar region. The recipe for this is very simple and easy to make. Once you have your vegetables cut and coconuts grated, you can get your thoran ready in minutes.
Other side dishes for rice:
Carrot beans thoran recipe below
- carrots ½ cup
- beans ½ cup
- turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- urud dal ¼ tsp
- mustard seeds ½ tsp
- salt to taste
- curry leaves few
- coconut oil 1 tablespoon
- for grinding
- grated coconut ¼ cup
- shallots 7 - 8 nos.
- green chilly 3 (depending on your taste buds)
- cumin seeds ¼ tsp
- Wash the carrots and the beans well. Chop the carrots and beans finely. Keep them in a bowl
- Grate the coconut. Keep them separately
- Grind coarsely (one pulse will be enough) the grated coconut, cumin seeds, onion and the green chillies.
- In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter.
- Once it splutters add urud dal and curry leaves
- Now add the chopped carrots and beans and salt mix well. Now add the turmeric powder sauté for some time
- Add little water (less than ¼ glass or sprinkle little water). Cover the pan with a lid. Allow it to cook. Check in between and stir it once or twice so that the vegetables don't burn.
- Once the beans and carrots are cooked, make a small hole in between and add the ground mixture. Cover the ground mixture with the cooked vegetables, cover the lid and leave for 2 min.
- Now open the lid, mix the vegetables and the ground mixture well.