cabbage kootu recipe – a tasty and easy to make side dish for rice and chapati.
kootu is a tasty South Indian style curry recipe for rice. It can also be served with chapati. cabbage kootu is an excellent way to include cabbage in your diet.
Yesterday, I made this cabbage kootu along with bhindi fry for lunch and everyone loved it. It is very simple and can be made in less than 2o minutes.
cabbage kootu recipe
- cabbage – 2 and 1/2 cups
- moong dal – 1/4 cup
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- sambar powder – 1 tablespoon
- water – as required
- coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
- cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- rice flour – 3/4 teaspoon
- water – 2 tablespoons, for grinding
- coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves – few
- urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
- hing or asafetida powder – a pinch
how to make cabbage kootu for rice
1. To make cabbage kootu, first start by cooking moong dal. Rinse moong dal in enough water and pressure cook moong dal with 2 cups of water, chopped cabbage, sambar powder, salt for 3 whistles. Wait till the pressure subsides.
2. Meanwhile, add all the ingredients mentioned under the heading “for grinding” to a mixer jar. Add water at intervals and grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
3. Open the pressure cooker, add the ground paste, and mix well. Add a little water if necessary.
4. Simmer on a low flame for 4 to 5 minutes. Keep stirring at intervals so that the dal does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Turn off the flame.
5. Let us now prepare the tempering for kootu. Heat oil in a kadai or a tadka pan. When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds.
6. When mustard splutters, add urad dal. When dal turns golden brown, add dry red chili, curry leaves and hing. Turn off the flame. Pour the tempering over the kootu.
7. cabbage kootu is ready. Serve with rice or with chapati.