brown rice dosa recipe – tasty, healthy and easy to make breakfast recipe.
dosa is a staple South Indian breakfast recipe made in most of the South Indian families. It is prepared with white rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds. But nowadays, I am getting a lot of request for healthy recipes and brown rice recipes. So I made this brown rice dosa for breakfast. I have already shared brown rice pulao, brown rice idli. This is an addition to recipes with brown rice.
dosa with brown rice is prepared in a way similar to the regular dosa. You can grind the batter either in a mixer jar or in a wet grinder.
brown rice dosa recipe
preparation time: 6 – 7 hours
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: breakfast
serves: 2 – 3
- brown rice – 1 and 1/2 cups
- idli rice – 1/2 cup
- urad dal – 1/2 cup
- chana dal – 1 tablespoon
- flattened rice or poha – one handful
- fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- oil – for making dosa
how to make brown rice dosa recipe
to make dosa batter
1.Wash and soak brown rice, idli rice, urad dal, chana dal, fenugreek seeds twice or thrice under clear water.
2. Soak rice and dal in enough water for 6 to 7 hours or overnight. Next day, 10 minutes before grinding, wash poha or beaten rice and add it along with the soaked rice. Let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Transfer the soaked ingredients to a mixer jar. Add water little by little and grind it to a smooth paste. You can grind it using a wet grinder or using a mixer jar. Transfer the ground dosa batter to a bowl. Take care that the bowl should be big enough to hold the batter after fermentation.
4. Add salt and mix well. Leave the batter aside covered for 9 to 10 hours for it to ferment. The time taken for fermentation depends on the climate of the region.
to make brown rice dosa
5. Heat a tawa or a griddle. Grease it with oil. You can apply the oil using a cloth or using an onion. I always rub the tawa with onion. It prevents dosa from sticking to the pan.
6. When the tawa is hot enough, pour a ladle full of batter onto the hot tawa and spread it in a circular motion from inside to outside. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of oil around the edges and at the center.
7. When the corners start lifting up, slowly flip the dosa to the other side. Add 1/2 a teaspoon of oil. Once this side is cooked, then transfer dosa to a serving plate.
8. Serve brown rice dosa with sambar and chutney.
brown rice dosa recipe
- brown rice - 1 and ½ cups
- idli rice - ½ cup
- urad dal - ½ cup
- chana dal - 1 tablespoon
- flattened rice or poha - one handful
- fenugreek seeds - ½ teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- oil - for making dosa
- Wash and soak rice, dal and fenugreek seeds together for 6 to 7 hours.
- minutes before grinding, add poha and soak for 10 minutes.
- Grind to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl, add salt and let it ferment for 8 to 9 hours.
- Heat a tawa or a griddle and grease it with oil.
- Pour one ladle full of batter and spread in a circular motion. Drizzle oil around the edges and at the center.
- Flip and cook on the other side till done.
- Serve brown rice with chutney and sambar.